August 21, 2011

:: SMS Finale! :: Hot Pepper Gingerbread Muffins with Orange Maple Butter

Shame on Me! Shame on Me! I haven't baked with Sweet Melissa Sundays since October of 2010!

Many of you know I had another baby. With one infant and a toddler I didnt' have much time to do anything except tend to them. So I felt it was only fair to my fellow SMS Bakers that I bake and host the last recipe of our baking adventure. And what an adventure it has been! My first bake along - The Brooklyn Brownout Cake - was back in April 2009! Here we are a little over two years later with Hot Pepper Gingerbread Muffins with Orange Maple Butter.  So many SMS bakers have come and gone and I'd like to THANK ALL who have participated!

The muffins were very gingery and the cayenne pepper kicked in for me later on.  These were different!

Makes 12 muffins
FOR THE MUFFINS:

1¾ cups all-purpose flour
1¼ teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
2½ teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 large eggs
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup molasses
3 tablespoons freshly grated gingerroot
2/3 cup strong boiling hot coffee

FOR THE ORANGE MAPLE BUTTER
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp.
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/8 teaspoon fine salt

BEFORE YOU START
Position a rack in the center of your oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a standard 12-cup muffin tin with muffin papers (or butter and flour the cups or spray with nonstick cooking spray).

TO MAKE THE MUFFINS
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, dry mustard, cinnamon, cloves, black & white peppers, cayenne and cardamom.

2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whip attachment, beat the eggs, brown sugar, and granulated sugar (on medium speed) until thick (about 4 minutes). In a slow, steady stream, add the molasses and oil. Stir in the ginger.

3. On medium speed, add the flour mixture in three batches, alternating with the hot coffee and mixing well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.

4. Pour the batter into the prepared muffin cups. (If you like, refrigerate overnight at this point.) Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack to cool.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, zest, syrup, and salt until smooth. Serve the muffins with the orange maple butter. The butter keeps refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week. Allow to soften to room temp. before serving. When soft, the butter may be rewhipped, if necessary.

4 comments:

Candy said...

Thanks for hosting this week! I loved these muffins.

Tracey said...

Thanks for hosting Karen! I can't believe it's our last week... I really liked the muffins, though I'm not quite ready for the fall/winter vibe they had going in my kitchen :)

Gloria said...

Shame on me! I feel so bad that I missed the last recipe. I was away with family this weekend and somehow had in my mind I had more time to make these muffins! I am going to try to squeeze them in this week and do a late post. Your muffins look delicious. These are perfect to wet my appetite for fall baking that I'm getting so antsy for.

Thanks for hosting and maintaining the group. It's truly been a blast. Looking forward to seeing what other people's favorite recipes were.

rebecca said...

Hi Karen, I'm so sorry that I've totally stopped baking the SMS recipes, and this one actually sounds quite intriguing with all those spices. Your muffins look great, and here's to the last, final recipe!

Post a Comment