August 15, 2011

Club BAKED: Sunday Night Cake

Before I started this group, I contacted BAKED co-founder, Matt Lewis, to let him know I was going to start a baking group for his cookbook.  He was honored and he also told me that Sunday Night Cake was his favorite cake.  I knew I had to try this immediately.  As I write this post, I wonder why I didn't pick this for our first recipe.  I was so happy when Julie did!


When I first read a recipe, I always like to see how many eggs are in a recipe... to know how I will divide it.  The number of eggs in this recipe was 3 -- which is what I divided by.  The batter came together very easily -- I didn't even have to pull out my mixer -- and it all fit in a 7" round pan.  I went with the simple dusting of confectioners' sugar at the end.

My additions/changes to the recipe:  instead of sour cream, I used honey-flavored yogurt; instead of the granulated sugar, I used honey; I added in a 1/4 teaspoon each of vanilla and almond extracts.

The use of yogurt & honey was a great idea on my part.  The cake had just the right amount of sweetness.  The vanilla & almond extracts brought out the cinnamon in this cake too.  The cake was very light, airy and moist.  If I made the full recipe, I would have easily eaten it all by myself!

Visit Club: BAKED for more information on joining and to see how others did.
Check out Julie's blog for the recipe.
Our next BAKED recipe:  Boston Cream Pie Cake

13 comments:

Gloria said...

Looks great Karen! I was tempted to do the powdered sugar dusting. I'm glad to see you did. It looks so pretty.

This was a great cake. Nice substitutions. I will definitely be making this again, mostly so I can try it with the chocolate frosting!

Kirsten said...

Great substitutions! I love the picture of the closeup on the crumb of the cake.....it looks so delicious!

Jess said...

Your cake looks so pretty! I wonder why, but my cake came out very dense - not very airy at all...

PhDcupcaker said...

Looks great Karen! I am amazed at your substitutions. I wouldn't even think about those! Great work!

Maria Hanrahan said...

And what would be wrong with eating the whole cake yourself....? Beautiful pics! And aren't Matt and Renato the most gracious people ever!?

Alexis said...

Looks delicious with the powdered sugar! That's really all this cake needed! Yum!

Bizzy B. Bakes said...

Your cake looks lighter than mine. I think the changes you made caused that nice and airy look. I didn't frost and used confectioner's sugar.

Julie said...

I love the changes you made to the cake! It's beautiful with the powdered sugar. Thanks for baking along with me!!!

Tessa said...

The cake is gorgeous with powdered sugar. We loved the cake portion, so I may have to try it this way with your adaptations!

Crystal said...

I was hoping someone would do the powdered sugar so glad to see it. It looks so delicate and delicious. You powdered just right- which I think can be challenging (for me anyway)- not too much with just enough so it doesn't look overdone. Yours is just right. Good job.

sassymama said...

vanilla and almond extract sounds yummy! it looks good.. didn't bake this time..wanted to take a break... :)

Stephanie said...

The yogurt and honey must have made a big difference in the texture of the cake. Mine was on the dense side. Glad you enjoyed this one! We did too.

Gourmified said...

Round...brilliant! It looks so cute!!!

Post a Comment