July 15, 2011

Club: BAKED - Farm Stand Buttermilk Donuts (One Way)

This week's Club: BAKED recipe was chosen by Gloria, The Ginger Snap Girl.  I've never made donuts before and I've been dying to & here was my chance!

I made half the recipe and with everything measured out and ready to go, I was done in a little under an hour.  I started heating my oil as soon as I started mixing the ingredients.  I added half a teaspoon of vanilla extract because I add it into all my baked goods.  I used a 2" inch glass for the large donut and a 1/2" circle for the center.  The dough was very, very sticky and I kept sprinkling flour everywhere.  I was a little afraid that they would come out dry but they didn't.  I then took all the leftover holes and put the dough back together and came out with 4 larger-than-usual donut holes and 4 regular donuts.  My dough was slightly higher than 1/2" thick.  I didn't bother with putting the cut dough into the refrigerator.  The dough went from the cutting board to the oil.  I fried up one at a time and kept the temp at 365 degrees. These fried up really fast!  I turned away to clean up a sec and almost burnt.

These were so yummy! But they didnt taste so yummy the next day... Matt's right, these have to be eaten immediately.

I went with the cinnamon-sugar coating because I always have cinn-sugar on hand.


Perhaps you'd like to join the Club?!
Visit Club: BAKED for more information and to see how others did.
Go to Gloria's blog for the recipe.
Our next BAKED recipe:  Chocolate Mint Thumbprint Cookies

10 comments:

Julie said...

Beautiful sugar donut!!

sassymama said...

yours looks good! round and fluffy like a real donut!

K. said...

It is awesome you were able to complete it so quick! Looks tasty!

Stephanie said...

I loved how quick this was from start to finish. I had never done donuts either, so I was surprised how hassle free this was. Yours look great!

Gloria said...

I'm so impressed you made your doughnuts in an hour! They look delicious. I agree they were not as tasty the next day. I slathered some jam on my cinnamon sugar ones on day 2 and that made them a little better...probably should have tried to heat it too. Next time! Thanks so much for baking along!

Crystal said...

These do look great! From the picture I can imagine biting into that doughnut.

Tessa said...

They definitely were really quick! Wish my donuts would have puffed better. I may end up trying these again :)

Jess said...

I can't believe how quickly yours came together. I know I'm a slow baker, but it took me about 2 hours start to finish. Yours look delish though. They are def better the first day though. I know you didn't bother to do this step, but do you think you could leave the dough overnight in the fridge to be fried the next morning?

Just Anything said...

Wow...an hour? I didn't time how long it took me but by the time I finished, my kitchen was a mess....

k.a.r.e.n said...

Im not sure how refrigerating the dough the night before would help or break the donuts.

I usually have a two hour window to bake (while the kids are napping) so anything under two hours is a godsend. I've baked so much (all 2nd nature, now) i can pretty much measure and mix blind-folded. LOL. =)

Post a Comment