June 21, 2011

Fresh Blueberry Muffins

It's the beginning of blueberry season in New Jersey and they're on sale everywhere!  I picked up a pint or two for 99 cents each last weekend.  Would you think it's weird that I don't like to eat blueberries by themselves; and I dont like blueberry yogurt or blueberry pie.  But I LOVEEEEEEE blueberry muffins.  And I've fallen in love with this recipe.  I have no idea where I found it but the muffins are delicious.  The crumb is light, tender & very moist.  The addition of lemon zest adds a zing to the flavor and brings out the freshness berries.  I subbed in a cup of whole wheat flour, too, for wholesomeness.

With this recipe, I made 4 king-sized muffins, 2 wrapped in the pink petal paper and 6 standard-sized muffins.  This is a recipe that you can definitely cut in half or quarter.

Ingredients:
2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of whole wheat flour
1 TBSP baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sugar
1 stick or 8 TBSP butter
2 eggs
1 1/2 cup plain yogurt
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
zest of one lemon
1 pint of fresh blueberries (if using frozen, toss in flour so they dont sink)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
Sift together the flours, baking powder, baking soda & salt.  Set aside.  Cream the butter and sugar together for 3-5 minutes.  Add in the eggs one at a time and then the vanilla extract and lemon zest.  Beat together for another 2 minutes.  Add in the flour & yogurt in batches, beginning and ending with flour.  Bake at 375 degrees for 20-35 minutes.

1 comments:

Hanaâ said...

Beautiful muffins! I like that the recipe has yogurt in it. Good to know you can 1 cup of WW flour w/o any issues.

Post a Comment