June 10, 2011

Chinese Paper-Wrapped Sponge Cakes (紙包蛋糕)

I love paper-wrapped sponge cakes from the Chinese bakery.  They're airy, light and not too sweet.  At about $1 ea at the bakery, I thought I'd take a stab at making my own.  Plus, I had an excuse to buy & use my new kingsize muffin pan.  Each cup measures 3.5 inches across the top and 3.25 inches deep, and holds almost a cup of batter.

The recipe below will probably yield 6 cakes in a standard muffin pan.  In the king size pan, I ended up with 3.

1/2 cup cake flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 large egg yolks (whites used below)
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup granulated sugar (divided)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 large egg whites

Preheat the oven to 340°F and have ready 6 sturdy unwaxed 1-cup paper cups, ungreased.

Sift the flour and baking powder together 3 times.
Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the egg yolks, salt, vanilla extract, and about half of the sugar (reserve the rest for later). Whisk for several minutes, until the mixture turns pale yellow and thick ribbons fall from the whisk. Stir in the water and the oil, and whisk well between each addition. Fold in the flour mixture and whisk until well blended, but don't overmix.

In another large clean bowl, combine the egg whites and remaining sugar, and beat with a clean whisk until stiff.

Fold the beaten egg whites into the batter and mix gently until blended.

Pour the batter into the prepared cups to about 3/4 of their capacity. Bake until set and golden brown, about 20-30 minutes. Invert the cups onto a cooling rack so the cakes won't collapse, and let cool completely. To unmold, run the blade of a knife around the inside of the cup to loosen, and shake gently until the cake falls out.

3 comments:

Hanaâ said...

The instructions remind me of a Chiffon cake and I love chiffon cakes. Your cakes look very light. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Btw, did you weigh your cake flour? If you used a measuring cup, did you dip and sweep, or spoon the flour into the cup? Thanks!

k.a.r.e.n said...

You know... ive never used a scale for ingredients (even though I heard thats better). Always dip & sweep.

Hanaâ said...

Funny how everyone has their preference. I never bake without my scale :o) Thanks for getting back to me on the dip-and-sweep. That helps!

Post a Comment