May 20, 2011

Vanilla Sponge Cake


Last weekend after I made the easy chocolate cake I had some more time on my hands and I made little vanilla cakes as well. I should have opted for a nap but sometimes when I start baking I just cant stop. Trying to come up with the "perfect" vanilla cake isn't as easy as I thought it would be. Some recipes are too eggy; some are too buttery. Some are too "heavy."

In this recipe, I used less sugar and upped the extract flavors. Because the egg whites are whipped and then folded into the rest of the batter, the cake comes out much lighter and fluffier.

INGREDIENTS:
5 eggs (seperated; best to do this when they're cold)
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup water
1 teaspoon lemon extract
t teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 teaspoon salt

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks until very thick and lemon colored. Beat in sugar gradually. Add water and lemon and vanilla extracts. Beat in flour.

2. In another bowl using the whip attachment, beat egg whites until frothy. Then add cream of tartar and salt. Beat mixture until whites are stiff, but not until they are dry (about 7-8 minutes). Fold this whipped mixture into yolk mixture.

3. Pour batter into an ungreased pan. Bake at 325°F (165 degrees C) for one hour, or until done. I baked in muffin cups at 325°F for 20 minutes.


karen on Foodista

0 comments:

Post a Comment