Before I found out I was pregnant, I set out on a quest to make Chinese-style breakfast buns. My husband loves them and at $1 per piece from a Chinese bakery, I figured it would be much cheaper and tastier if I made them myself. I was so right!
First, was to find the recipe for the buns (aka breads). I went thru a few recipes and found that this recipe for the bread was the best: All Recipes Chinese Sweet Bun Dough
Next was the cocktail bun filling. I can't remember exactly where I found the recipe for the filling but it is:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/3 cup plain flour, sifted
1/3 cup milk powder, sifted (luckily, I had a ton of this from SMS ice cream making!)
3 tb sugar
1/4 cup shredded coconut
And finally, the preparation:
1. Prepare the Sweet Bun Dough as directed.
2. Take one of the 8 small divided balls and roll out with a rolling pin into a flat circle.
3. Place one portion of the Cocktail Bun Filling in the center of dough circle.
4. Gather the outer edges of the dough circle and wrap up the filling. Pinch the edges together to seal in the filling. Roll the sealed dough with your palm on the work surface lightly up and down to shape the dough into a cylindrical shape. Repeat with the other 7 dough balls.
5. Let rise, lightly covered, until double in size on a lightly greased tray (about two hours in a warm room). When ready, brush with eggwash. Then sprinkle a little sesame seeds onto the buns.
6. Bake in preheated 350°F oven for about 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown.
- ► 2011 (20)
- ▼ 2010 (30)
- ► 2009 (113)
A to Z ABC almonds appetizers apple asian award banana bbq birthday blogiversary blueberry bread brownies butterscotch cakes candy cheese cheesecake chinese chocolate chocolate chip citrus clubBAKED coconut coffee cookie carnival cookies cranberry cupcakes CWF desserts dips donuts flan fondant frostings frozen fruit gingerbread giveaway holidays honey ice cream kreativ blogger lemon matcha meat misc. mochi MSCupcakes muffins My 100 nutella nuts OBG pasta peanut butter People's Choice pies pumpkin red velvet restaurants scones SMB frostings sorbet souffle stand strawberry sugars Sweet Melissa Sundays sweet potato tart tips vanilla vegan waffles wedding whole wheat yogurt