March 28, 2010

::SMS:: Pavlova Peach Melba

Before joining SMS, I've never heard of pavlova, which according to wikipedia, is:
a meringue-based dessert named after the Russian ballet dancer Ánna Pávlova. Colloquially referred to as "pav", it is a cake similar to meringue with a crispy crust and soft, light inner.

Pavlova is made by beating egg whites (and sometimes salt) to a very stiff consistency before folding in sugar, white vinegar, cornstarch, and sometimes vanilla, and slow-baking the mixture similarly to meringue. This makes the outside of the pavlova a crisp crunchy shell, while the interior remains soft and moist. Pavlova is traditionally decorated with a topping of whipped cream and fresh fruit.
Patty of Birding Blossoms and Baking decided that we should make pavlova this Sunday... and so we did. I cut the recipe in half because hubs was NOT going to eat this. I used the ring of a 4" springform pan on my silicone baking sheet as my template because I didnt have anymore parchment paper.


I only had to bake it for about an hour and then I let it cool in the oven for about 45 minutes.


For the fruit: I dont like raspberries so I went with strawberries. I even made the strawberry sauce that's featured in the book on page 210.


I enjoyed this! This was so easy to put together. I'm definitely going to make this again, except I'll make the full recipe for gatherings. For the pavlova recipe, head over to Patty's blog.

Here's the super-easy recipe for Fresh Strawberry Sauce:
Makes about 1 cup sauce
Ingredients:
1 dry pint fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
2 tbs sugar
1 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbs cold water

In a food processor or blender, puree the berries, sugar, lemon juice, and water until smooth. Strain the berry mixture into a clean bowl and discard the seeds. Stir in additional sugar, if needed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.

7 comments:

Candy Girl said...

Looks great! I almost went with strawberries too because they are on sale here.

Tracey said...

This is such a pretty dessert and even better, relatively healthy :) I'm making a small one like you too Karen but I just popped mine in the oven a few minutes ago. Thanks for the info on baking time!

Julie said...

Looks delicious! Love the strawberries!

Tessa said...

Strawberries would be a good swap. I'm with you guys on the mini-pavlovas. You could even let each person top their own with whatever fruit they want.

Your picture at the bottom with the fruit makes me want to head back to the kitchen tonight and whip up another one. Delicous!

Nina said...

Looks great!

Susan said...

Your Melba looks fabulous! And, I would have done strawberries rather than peaches too. I only like peaches in my Mom's Peach Upside-down cake. :)

Flourchild said...

I missed this one..I had to back track to see how it turned out for everyone! It looks good and Im glad youenjoyed!

Post a Comment