March 14, 2010

::SMS:: Carrot Cake with Orange Cream Cheese Frosting


Do you have a recipe that you swear by? I do, and it's carrot cake (click here for my recipe & "story"). Julie of A Little Bit of Everything chose this Sunday's Sweet Melissa recipe. I almost opted out of this weekend's bake-along, cause like I said, I have a recipe that I swear by.

Compared to Melissa Murphy's recipe, I use more carrots, cinnamon, nuts, baking soda & baking powder, and LESS sugar.

I made a cake last week and opted for cupcakes this week, using really cute baking cups. I have so many baking cup papers that I can't keep track of where I bought what. The thing I love about these papers is that I pour the batter right into the cups (no pan necessary!) and bake right in it! Cool, right?

Aside from looking really cute, these tasted pretty good and very close to the recipe I use. Eaten without the frosting, there's something missing -- I can't pinpoint it or compare it to my recipe because I havent had a chance to make mine again. I LOVED the orange cream cheese frosting! Thanks, Julie for a great pick! Be sure to see what other SMS bakers did this week!

Come back tomorrow for MORE (MS) cupcakes!

14 comments:

Julie said...

Hi, Karen:

Love the cupcake wrappers - where do you get those???

I thought the EXACT same thing, it's missing something.

Thanks for baking along with me this week.

Flourchild said...

I'll be the second person to ask you this question..where did you get the baking cups? I want some..how cool is that!
Your cakes look incredible! I like you have a tried and true carrot cake recipe. Im glad I tried this one, it's nice to break away and try new things!

Cristine said...

Your cupcakes look wonderful! LOVE the baking cups!

Tracey said...

Those baking cups are awesome Karen! Anything that saves me from washing dishes is a good thing in my book! Glad this recipe was a hit for you in light of your go-to being such a favorite. The cupcakes look beautiful :)

Nina said...

Wow, those baking cups are so interesting. They look so perfect!

k.a.r.e.n said...

Re: the wrappers. I can't remember where I got these wrappers -- I have to look back to see if I can find the exact place I got them from.

They are kinda expenseive... Bake It Pretty sells them:
http://www.bakeitpretty.com/category_14/-Specialty-Baking-Cups.htm

Susan said...

I love your cupcake wrappers and how the cupcakes look after baking in them! Where did you get them? Great looking cupcakes!

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Karen,

The cupcakes are so adorable in those cupcake liners!

I also liked your Oreo Cookie Cake!!!

Carmen ~

Stephanie said...

those are some neato liners! how cool is that - you don't need to use the pan??
i love the look of the finished cupcakes too - they are much larger than standard cupcakes baked in muffin tins, right? i'm totally digging it!

spike. said...

love those cupcakes- and those baking cups sound great (I'll have to keep an eye out for them!)

margot said...

Those wrappers are awesome, so cute! I thought this was pretty good carrot cake, but not so good that I don't want to try other recipes.

Sweet and Savory said...

I am afraid your wrappers took over the cupcakes which also look great. The wrappers are amzazing, though.

Tessa said...

Oddly enough, I just had some cupcakes in those type of wrappers in DC. First time I had ever seen them. I had no idea that's how they work.

Thanks for making the cake with us for SMS. I'm pretty new to SMS - the carrot cake was my 2nd week.

Kaitlin said...

Those wrappers are super cool! I love them. The cupcakes are adorable.

I have a carrot cake recipe that I love too. I'm heading over to check out yours right now to see if they're similar :)

Post a Comment