February 28, 2010

::SMS:: Sugar Cookies - fail

This Sunday's SMS recipe, chosen by Nina of Nina's Cupcakes, was a lil on the odd side to me. It's a pie crust recipe that you can use to make sugar cookies. As you all know by now, i HATE making "dough" recipes, i.e., pie crusts or any recipe that calls for rolling dough. After contemplating for a week and reviewing the P&Q's of SMS, I decided to go ahead and make these. I did what many others suggested: increase the sugar, the zest, and add lemon juice. I also increased the vanilla extract and added some almond extract.

Well... it didnt work out for me. After refrigerating my dough OVERNIGHT, I set out to roll it this morning. It was too wet and sticky and I couldnt get it to roll properly. No matter how much more flour I added to the rolling pin and dough... it just stuck everywhere.

Sorry, Nina, but I tried. I really HATE working with dough now and I have no idea if I'm going to ever get over it... seeing how we're suppose to make a pie in two weeks. BOO!

9 comments:

Nina said...

Thanks for TRYING to bake with me this week! I'm sorry that it didn't work out for you. I was thinking about the pie too and how I have absolutely no time, but I may just get some premade pie crusts - I know a bad idea, but a good idea for time - and see how that goes!

Judy said...

doughs are easier to work with if you have a food processor. it comes together in a few pulses! =)

Flourchild said...

Bummer it did not work out for you. Do you mix your dough by hand? Judy is right about the food processor..or mixer. I throw all the ingredients in my Bosch mixer and it comes out perfect everytime. ALl though before the mixer I did my crusts by hand and it does work. I hope you can figure out the problems so you can make that pie! Don't give up!!

Julie said...

I hear you on the dough or pie crust! This one worked for me but I didn't like the taste.

Ugh...pie crust in a couple weeks?

Susan said...

I passed on this one. Not making a pie. Hubby isn't crazy about sugar cookies. Trying to cut back on how much I spend on baking. :) Sorry it was a fail for you.

Tracey said...

Oh no, sorry these were a fail for you Karen! I generally hate working with pie dough too, but I've had better luck with cookie dough. I wish I had some suggestions to help you.

Mara... said...

Oh no! So sorry that it didn't turn out for you. That's a bummer!!

Eliana said...

Too bad these didn't work out for you. Yours is the reason why I didn't even try this one - because dough and this chica just do not get along.

And I want to send along a huge (late) thanks for the photography award you passed along. It was extremely thoughtful of you especially since I don't consider myself to be much of a photography. That was very sweet.

Baking is my Zen...sweet nibbles for the soul said...

Sorry to read you dislike working with dough. It's not high on my list. But, I'll work with it. What might be of help is watching videos on youtube about the subject. I took a baking class this past semester, and the teacher advised us to look at videos to get a better sense of how to bake something. It's helped me alot.

Good luck! Thanks for stopping by my blog Karen.

Post a Comment