February 15, 2010

{MSC} S'mores Cupcakes

It feels like it's been forever since our last Martha Cupcake feature, hasn't it? February's cupcake-of-the-month — S'mores Cupcakes — was chosen by Mary Ann of Meet Me in the Kitchen.

I was never a girl scout. I never went camping. (I never had a s'more!)
I love graham crackers. I love chocolate. (Not a big fan of marshmellows.)

I gave this recipe a try anyway but with a few changes:
  • There was one ingredient in the cupcake that I didnt really feel like buying — graham flour — so I did a little research online and found that wheat flour is a good sub. So instead of the graham flour, I decided to use half wheat flour and half oat flour (since I had both in my pantry).
  • I halved the recipe and came out with 9.

  • Instead of making the marshmellow frosting, I used FLUFF, which i toasted, of course.
My chocolate glaze came out a little on the thin side. After making it, I wish I made a ganache instead. My thoughts on the cupcake? I liked the cupcake. I liked the chocolate. Wasn't too fond of the fluff.




I actually liked the taste of the cupcake -- it was on the "grainy" side maybe cause it was more like a muffin.

Be sure to check out how the rest of the club did with these cupcakes. Come back next month for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes.

19 comments:

Cupcakes and Sundry said...

Great tweaks to your recipe. I wasn't very found of the cupcakes. How did they taste with the flour changes you made?

Mary Ann said...

Great substitutions! I really liked the grainy-ness of the cupcakes too. I think they look delicious!

Judy said...

yeah, it probably would've been better with just plain wheat flour, as opposed to that weird graham flour stuff! i'm glad yours turned out well!

i halved the recipe too! But i got like 14 cupcakes. hehe. werid. it seems to me like sometimes martha's measurements are a bit off.. this isn't the first time that's happened!

I love your cupcake liner! sooo cute!

Brette said...

Very clever to use Fluff instead! Wish I'd thought of that!

Candice said...

i opted for a choc base cake so i cant speak from experience on this one being yet another "muffin". but looking at the ingredients, it does appear so. Regardless, yours turned out dainty and cute!

MJD said...

They look terrific - even with the graham flour! :) Sorry they tasted grainy, but at least you succeeded making them - which is more than I did! Nicely done!

Mike
MSCC blog:
web.me.com/mikejdunlap

Megan said...

I would have thought the Fluff would have been really good - I'm glad to know it wasn't - otherwise I might have tried it!

lakegirl said...

Your cupcakes look great. I love the liners. It's interesting how so many of the MSC recipes have been "muffin like".

Kayte said...

My favorite way to eat those little cakes was straight from the oven warm with nothing else on or in them! After they cooled, I wasn't such a big fan. The guys, however, devoured them and declared them worthy of their name. Yours looks really nice, and the little wrapper is so cute!

Monica said...

Yes! Definately more like a muffin. I love your little polka dot wrappers. Sooo cute. Great job!

Neev said...

i love the liners too...glad u liked the ccakes. And whats fluff we dont have that here in Aust.

Tracey said...

I love your finished cupcake Karen! The little puff of fluff on top is so cute! Great liners too - where did you get those? These were disappointing for me, but still fun to make even if I did throw most of them away.

lakegirl said...

Stop by my blog, I've left something for you there!

Eliana said...

I've never had a smore either. Your cupcake looks gorgeous.

Janine said...

I also didn't feel like looking for graham flour (and I also didn't even read the whole recipe until I had already started baking) so I used half graham wafer crumbs and half wheat flour.

Jeannette said...

you've never had a S'MORE?!? oh boy, i couldn't live that way. i loooove s'mores!

i just subbed pulverized graham crackers for the graham flour and they flavor and texture were great :)

Lauryn said...

Sounds like you did a great job on the subs! Your cupcakes look beautiful! I am a huge fan of smores!! Yum!

cindy said...

Looks beautiful. I like the changes you made.

SUGAR B said...

Cute cupcakes! I actally swapped out the graham flour with graham cracker crumbs and I believe it did taste like an actual graham cracker.

Thanks for baking along with us this month . . and yes, it seems like forever with the last MSC post. Busy months!

Post a Comment