January 03, 2010

::SMS:: Chocolate Creme Caramels

Happy New Year!!!

Sorry for not blogging for over two weeks .... i was super-busy when Christmas came around.... but I'm back, and we're back! To start off the New Year, Jeanette of The Whimsical Cupcake chose Chocolate Creme Caramels. At first, I was going to make half the recipe. I changed my mind on Christmas eve and went for the full recipe -- to bring as a treat to my aunt's Christmas Day dinner.

I'm blogging about this about a week later and if i remember correctly:
I used a medium sized sauce pan because I wasn't paying attention to the recipe when it read USE A LARGE POT. When the thermometer hit 220 degrees that's when things got a little scary in my kitchen: the caramel boiled over FAST, and when I say boiled over -- I mean out of the pot and onto the burner -- sugar everywhere! I immediately turned the flame to low. I then played with the heat from low to medium to high back to medium and then to low again... going from 220 degrees to 248 degrees took forever (about 30 minutes)! Eventually i got to 248 degrees and turned off the heat and poured the mixture into my 10" square cake pan and let it set (overnight).

On Christmas morning, after M opened up all her presents I whipped out my ruler and measured out 1x1 inch squares. After cutting and eating, I had about 8 dozen of these lil beauties. I used mini cupcake wrappers and placed them in lil treat boxes (2 dozen per box). These were a hit at dinner and at the office (I had so many i had to distribute them everywhere).

Thanks, Jeanette for a great pick! Next time, I'll either make half the recipe or use a larger pot!

13 comments:

lakegirl said...

Hi, Karen:

Happy New Year! Your caramels look beautiful. I loved this recipe. I wrapped all of mine, that was job!!!

Candy Girl said...

Yum! Your caramels look great! I didn't include the chocolate in mine and they were still wonderful.

Flourchild said...

Welcome back ..it's been a crazy and busy time of year for all of us!
Your caramels look great and it's nice you could share them with coworkers.
Sorry to hear about the sugary boil over on your stove..I hate sticky cooking messes!!

Nina said...

YUM! Mine had almost boiled over and I was freaking out, but I turned the fire a little lower and it helped a lot, but then again, no thermometer so I couldnt tell the correct temperature anyways.

Tracey said...

Your caramels look wonderful! I bet lots of people were glad you shared them. I had the same issue with the temperature taking forever to get up to 248 F - I was starting to think it might never happen :)

Susan said...

Happy New Year! Your caramels look great! If I ever make these I will be sure to use a large pot and have lots of time to wait for the temperature to rise. I am cutting back on the number of things I make so I skipped this week.

HanaĆ¢ said...

Happy New Year, Karen. I'm glad everybody liked them. They were really good and I'm glad I made them. Now I kinda wish I hadn't made just a 1/4 of the recipe... ha ha.

margot said...

Your caramels look perfect! I had to switch pots in the middle of making them - even with just a half batch. Glad they were a hit!

Jessica said...

Eek! Sorry about the boil over incident, that's never fun. I'm glad you were able to make it work, and that everyone enjoyed these. They look lovely in the paper cups!

The Bahens said...

Yikes! I'm glad they turned out OK in the end! Happy New Year!

Fit Chick said...

I used a 5 qt sauce pan with no issues; it's the one I use for brittles and such. Your caramels look delicious, yummy!!

Joy said...

Happy New Year Karen!

So wonderful to hear from you :) I'm really glad to be back too... I've missed being in touch with everyone- yourself included! Your caramels came out beautiful and that is QUITE a feat given your caramel boil over mishap- oy vey, that must have been extremely stressful, but you handled it like a pro! You should have seen me standing at my stove staring at two different size pots trying to decide which one to use (my biggest "saucepan" is "large," but of course I was worried about facing the same problem you had, so I actually debated using my DEEP stockpot just to be safe. After about 10 minutes of vacillating, I eventually decided to gamble on the saucepan, and it was just barely okay- I had a few scary moments when I thought for sure I was going to have a caramel eruption on my hands). Anyways, I'm so happy you were rewarded for your efforts with a big yummy batch of delicious caramels (I'm sure all your friends, coworkers, and family were super thankful as well!)

I can't wait to enjoy another fun, fabulous year of baking and blogging together in 2010! Hope you're doing well, and look forward to talking to you again soon- have a great week!

<3,
Joy

spike. said...

I bet everyone was glad to receive them! happy new year

Post a Comment