January 15, 2010

{MSC} Coconut Cupcakes

The January/February issue Food Network Magazine featured "candy cupcakes" -- cupcakes that taste like candy bars, i.e., Snickers, Crunch Bar, Chocolate PB Cups, Peppermint Patties, and Almond Joy! When I saw the coconut cupcake recipe plus the chocolate & coconut topping, I knew i had to do that for this month's MSCupcake Recipe.

I loved Martha's cupcake recipe! It was light, airy, moist and so coconutty! I loved Food Network's topping -- it tasted exactly like candy bar.

The Topping:
2 cups whole milk
1 14-ounce package shredded coconut
1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt

Combine the milk, coconut, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and salt in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat and cook until the milk is absorbed and the mixture thickens, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.

The Glaze:
6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Put the chocolate, corn syrup, butter and 3 tablespoons hot water in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on 50 percent power until the chocolate melts, about 2 minutes. Whisk to combine. Keep warm.

20 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I saw those candy bar cupcake toppings this month too, but never thought to use it. These look fabulous!
Great job.

Snooky doodle said...

chocolate and coconut. delicious :)

cindy said...

Love your idea! They look delish. Sadly mine were a failure.

Nina said...

oh wow. The chocolate on top sounds like it would be heavenly! I would have stuck a small almond joy on top too!

lakegirl said...

Karen: These look yummy! I passed on this months, too much baking to get done before I leave on vacation next week, something had to go. Maybe I will do a rewind sometime.

TeaLady said...

UUUHHH!!! Bet these were good with the added chocolate. They look great.

Monica said...

Oh, I saw those too. What a good thought! Great job.

Megan said...

Was I absent the day that magazine came out? Because that would be a perfect idea!

pink said...

Yum! Those look yum.

Neev said...

choc and coconut-great combi.

Kayte said...

Oh, I think my guys would really get into this chocolate bit on here. Mark's favorite candy bars are Mounds! Yours look so cute and perky...love that. We loved this recipe, best cupcake EVER!

Clivia said...

Great idea! Those toppings look irresistible. I know how good that cupcake would be. Well done!

Lori said...

Oh my! These look amazing! I must try this!

Annette M. said...

Wow those look yummy! Mounds are my favorite candy. When I made the cupcakes I was debating on whether to top some of them with chocolate ganache, but ran short on time. It is definetly something I want to try in the future.

Candice said...

ohhhh!!! Can someone hand me a napkin? THe drool just wont stop!
((ok ok so that was a little gross to visualize but you get my drift!?)

oh oh i'm sooooooo taking this recipe for the topping! Thanks!! lovely choice.

Judy said...

good call with the chocolate!! why didn't i think of that? i bet it was super delicious!

Tracey said...

Thanks for blogging something from the Food Network magazine - it looks awesome! I get that magazine but I haven't had a chance to look through it yet. I'll definitely take note of this one!

Jennifer said...

Ooooh, great idea to add chocolate to this cupcake! I will have to try that next time. :)

See you next month!

Karine said...

Your cupcakes sound delicious! thanks for sharing :)

Eliana said...

This is now my favorite coconut cake. It was so delicious. And what a grea idea to add chocolate on top.

Post a Comment