December 06, 2009

::SMS:: Chocolate Espresso Cheesecake

Our last SMS recipe for 2009 was chosen by Shandy of Pastry Heaven.

I rather make a cheesecake than eat it. Odd, right? I hope not. I think cheesecakes are an acquired taste. My brother loves cheesecake, but he's not too fond of chocolate! So what in the world do I do in this situation? Go for it? Take a pass? I missed last Sunday's recipe and I almost bowed out of this one but I went for it and I made the chocolate espresso cheesecake... but into minis.

I've made quite a few cheesecakes in my time but I never made a chocolate one because my family prefers a plain one. Melissa's cheesecake was interesting one: you've got a chocolate crust covered with a layer of melted chocolate. Then you have cream cheese, add in some more melted chocolate, then add in some cream made with instant espresso AND more chocolate. How can you go wrong?

Melissa's recipe yields one 8-inch cheesecake. I made three minis — approx. 4.75-inches each. My bake times varied: 300° for 40 minutes, then 30 minutes at 250°. Then I turned off the oven and left them in for another 45 minutes.



Thanks, Shandy for a luscious recipe! This was great. I didnt go for the blackberry glaze cause I thought this was enough work for a cheesecake. Melissa Murphy says in her cookbook, this is a very rich dessert -- it's SO TRUE!

The SMS Bakers are taking a break for the rest of 2009... but I will remake a few of the recipes I missed, so come back next Sunday for a make-up recipes.

14 comments:

Shandy said...

This little chocolate cheesecake is so cute and perfect! I honestly do not think the blackberry glaze added to the flavor. Just added a shiny surface. You bowed out then baked it anyways? Well thank you for baking along with me this week. I hope you and your family also have a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays =)

lakegirl said...

Karen - Your cake looks wonderful! I love cheesecake and this one was so creamy!!

Look forward to seeing the missed SMS recipes!!

VeggieGirl said...

I 100% agree with you on cheesecakes :)

Nina said...

DANG! I agree, I enjoy making the cheesecake, but eating it, that's why I have friends =]

Anncoo said...

WOW! I saw many bloggers baked this. Looks perfect :D

Flourchild said...

Yum yur cheesecake looks so good! I enjoyed it too and was happy it turned out after all the waiting!

foodcarious girl said...

looks yum, i'm gonna try this next year ;)

Susan said...

Love the look of your mini cheesecakes. I not only like to bake them, I also like to eat them. This one was delicious!

margot said...

Cute little cheesecake! I feel exactly the same way about cheesecakes. Both of the ones from Melissa's book have been fun to make.

Jelli Bean said...

I'd gladly have your slice. This sounds perfectly delicious. Good work. I also agree with you, that adding blackberry glaze could be overload. yum

Sarah said...

This certainly is one rich dessert, but I loved it. I usually prefer a plain cheesecake too, but I thought this was fantastic. I'm planning on playing catch-up over our break, too!

Tracey said...

Haha great minds - I used the same size pans as you Karen! I just think the minis are the cutest :) Yours looks terrific! This one was super rich - I wound up giving mine away.

HanaĆ¢ said...

Beautiful, Karen! With all that chocolate, you weren't even tempted to even try 1 small bite? Ha ha! I will be baking mine today or tomorrow.

What a great idea to play catch up during the upcoming break. One recipe that comes to mind is the SMS Cashew Bars. Everybody seemed to love them.

Candy Girl said...

Your cheesecake looks fantastic!

Post a Comment