November 22, 2009

::SMS:: Raised Waffles with Warm Brown Sugar Bananas

"Leggo my eggo!?" Where ARE the eggos?

Have you heard about the Eggo shortage? Two months ago, they were on sale. Now, you can't even find them. Perfect timing for a Sweet Melissa recipe! Thank you Lauren of Fried Pickles and Ice Cream, who chose this Sunday's recipe.

I made these twice. Last weekend, was my first attempt. I started the batter the night before and in my haste, and a not-so-thorough read of the recipe, I tossed the eggs into the batter that night. In the morning, I added the baking soda and made the waffles. The batter was super-thin. It took me a few tries but I eventually got a normal looking waffle. The first two had a lot of holes in them. While my waffles were "rising," i made the brown sugar bananas.


THE VERDICT: I thought the waffles were bland, even with the brown sugar bananas. I LOVED the syrup though. Were my waffles flavorless because of my egg mishap? I dont know, but there was only one way to find out. Make them again (with some adjustments)!

~~~

Second Attempt

So yesterday, I did it again. The adjustments:
• Instead of 1 teaspoon of sugar, I used 2 teaspoons of cinnamon-sugar
• Instead of a pinch of nutmeg, I used 1/4 teaspoon
• Instead of adding in the eggs when I shouldn't have, I added them in the morning like i was suppose to.
• I added 2 teaspoons of vanilla when I added in the eggs.
• I pulled out my Belgian waffle maker.
• For the syrup: I omitted the alcohol altogether. Instead of 1/2 cup of maple syrup, I went with 1/4 cup of maple syrup + 2 tablespoons of honey. Instead of cooking the bananas in the syrup, I added them on top of my cooked waffle and then spooned the syrup on top.


THE VERDICT: Much tastier than the first time. The texture was about the same and I think I know why: my waffle maker's setting should be set slightly higher than what I had it on. I'm definitely going to make this again, using my 2nd version; perhaps, I'll even come up with something else. That's whats' great about these recipes, there are so many great variations!

11 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

THE WAFFLES STILL LOOK DELICIOUS! I LL TRY YOUR LAST ATTEMPT THOUGH :)

Susan said...

I didn't make these, no waffle iron. Yours look good! Glad the second time worked out.

Flourchild said...

I felt the same way as you....not much taste..the topping was nasty too. I think your adjustments sound better. I have a buttermilk waffle recipe I use that has oil instead of eggs. I was bummed out with the yeast..you think it would have made the waffles fat and fluffy but they came out flat and tasteless.

Mrs. G said...

I'm glad you gave it a second try. Your revisions are helpful.

Tracey said...

Love the changes you made on your second attempt and kudos to you for trying again! I'm the worst when it comes to not reading recipes thoroughly so I feel your pain :) The waffles look awesome and I'm glad you enjoyed them more on the second try! I thought they were delicious but I wasn't a fan of the topping.

Nina said...

I love the second time. They look good!

lakegirl said...

I thought these were a little bland as well. I love the changes you made. I will try those changes next time.

Stephanie said...

Looks great! I'm glad you were get them to work the 2nd time around! I've too-quickly reaad recipes SO OFTEN and done silly things.. in fact... with THIS recipe, I accidentally added the baking soda in the night before! So I just added some MORE in in the morning. Ooops! C'est la vie! :)

margot said...

The waffles look terrific! Your additions to the batter sound yummy, I'm glad they worked out so much better the second try.

Spike said...

Glad it worked out in the end!

Hanaâ said...

I'm glad you tried them again and liked them better the second time around. I added ground cinnamon to the batter and also slightly increased the freshly ground nutmeg. They were good. Cleaning up the waffle maker was a pain though. All those nooks and crannies :o)

Post a Comment