November 15, 2009

{MSC} (Candied) Sweet Potato Cupcakes

It's a double header post day! Today is the 15th of the month and what do we have? MS Cupcakes! Today is also Sweet Melissa Sunday... click here for my Butter Toffee Crunch.


I actually made these cupcakes two weeks ago for Megan's 2nd Birthday-Halloween Party. For the party, I made 1 dozen Chocolate Spiders, 1 dozen Vanilla Cupcakes and 1 dozen of these SWEET Potato Cupcakes. Took me two nights but I got it all done.



I made the sweet potato cupcakes the night before the party. As soon as they came out of the oven, I shoved one down my throat. OMG.... these were unbelievable! (I love sweet potato pie and after years of searching, I found a recipe my family and I fell in love with.) I cant even describe my love for THESE cupcakes. I regretted making the vanilla cupcakes because I surely should have made 2-3 dozen of these babies. They were HUGE hit at the party!


Martha Stewart suggests using a marshmellow topping for the cupcakes.... i guess for the "candied" part of the name. I think sweet potatoes are perfectly sweet so there was no need to add more sugar to the recipe (besides, there was already and overload of sugar on the table).... so I just made a whipped cream topping with 1-2 tablespoons of granulated sugar.

I can't post the recipe cause those are one of the rules to the MS Cupcake Club. If you want to make these, I suggest you go buy the cookbook because these cupcakes are definitely worth the price of the book! I thank all the MS Cupcake Bakers for baking with me this week and I hope you all enjoyed my pick. Be sure to check out everyone else's blogs -- click here for the list.

Don't forget to enter my Blogiversary Giveaway for your chance to win some cool colored cupcake liners -- all you have to do is leave a comment and you'll be automatically entered -- there are 2 days left!

25 comments:

Faye said...

Your cupcakes came out so festive. They look great!!!

mike said...

Holy Toledo! These are exquisite! Wow... very impressed - they look so wonderful and festive - and even better that they served a purpose for you (other than eating them yourself)! :) Looks like they were quite fun for you to make - nicely done!

VeggieGirl said...

Stellar cupcakes!! I like your "sans marshmallow" version.

And happy birthday to Megan!

Monica said...

Oh these turned out beautiful! Great pick for the month. I was soooo excited to make these! I also thought they were great. Good job!

Yudith said...

They are SOOOO... adorable!!! I loved these cupcakes, thanks for a great selection!! ;-)

Megan said...

They were an excellent choice, and I'm sorry I missed them.

I love the little circle picks on the cupcakes - very unique!

SUGAR B said...

I definitely enjoyed your pick! I made the cupcakes this morning and they were a hit at brunch!

I love those bday cupcakes! Fantastic!

Candice said...

WoooOOo! Look at you, getting November's MSCC cupcake done and dusted welll in advance! ((And here, I just got up this morning and started baking, and I have a few more grey hair now because of it, i bet!)) I'm digging the green & orange colour combo: a bit "halloweeny" on the outside, a bit "thanksgiving-y" on the inside. ;)

Tracey said...

Thanks for hosting this week Karen! Love what you did with these cupcakes. Next time I make them I'll either do cream cheese frosting or try the whipped cream. There will definitely be a next time as these were a hit here too!

Janine said...

Thanks for picking these. I would never have chosen to make these myself, so it's always good to have someone suggest something different.

And your cupcakes look beautiful.

lakegirl said...

Karen - Great choice of recipes! Your cupcakes are beautiful. I love the Happy Birthday pics!!

Mary Ann said...

I love your frosting choice! I was really surprised at how delicious these cupcakes were. Great pick!

Deborah said...

I have the cookbook, so I'll have to make these! They look amazing.

Lisa Smiley said...

Great photos and toppers! So cute! I loved them, too. Soo yummy! On everyone's list now! Thanks for sharing!

Fit Chick said...

Yes, the marshmallows were too much, I'm not a huge sugar fan.

Thanks for your comment on the giant cupcakes. Actually the bottom is a chocolate shell using candy melts. It takes about 1 lb. of candy melts and you make the shell 1/4" thick, then fill with cake layers.

Teresa Bjork said...

Wow! Your cupcakes turned out beautiful! Totally agree that the marshmallows weren't necessary. When I make them again (and I will make them again), I'll follow your tip of using a whipped cream topping. Thanks so much for sharing!

Clivia said...

Lovely assortment of cupcakes! I'm sure everyone was thrilled. I ejoyed making this recipe.

cindy said...

Thanks for a great pick--hubby said these were the best cupcakes ever. I would have to agree, I had to get them out of the house quick. Because I count them as a vegetable I could feel good about eating them at every meal!

Lori said...

Thanks for a great pick for this month! I love your frosting job! They look amazing!

Stephanie said...

these look adorable! you're right - i think this whipped cream topping is better than the marshmallow one would be!

Annette said...

Your cupcakes look lovely! The marshmallow idea is cute, but I think frosting would taste even better.

Judy said...

wow! these are amazing!!! I just love it! =) You're so creative!

way to pick an awesome recipe- it was SO amazingly delicious! I will definitely make these again for thanksgiving!

Jess said...

So cute! Thanks for picking these - maybe next time I'll just make some yummy frosting instead of the marshmallows...

Future Grown-Up said...

Your cupcakes are like works of art. Seriously pretty.

Megan said...

Those cupcakes look fabulous! I think I'm especially drawn to them because they have my name all over them! Ha ha

Post a Comment