October 11, 2009

::SMS:: Sticky Buns

A few weeks ago I watched Alton Brown make Overnight Cinnamon Rolls on Good Eats. A few days later I took the liberty of emailing the October SMS Bakers for their recipes (I'm helping out Lorelei while she gets settled into her new home) — and there it was — Jen's pick!

Jen of Not Microwave Safe chose Sticky Buns aka Cinnamon Rolls! After reading the recipe three times -- these are also OVERNIGHT Sticky Buns!

The first and last time I tried a yeast recipe, I totally flopped.... and wouldn't you know it, it was an SMS recipe (the bee stings). This time around, I didnt cut the recipe in half. I also left the dough out for the first rise OVERNIGHT (the recipe says the dough will rise after about 2 hours..... uh.... my a$$!). Anyway, Friday night I made the dough and left it out. When I woke up on Saturday morning, I ran to check on the dough. It rose!!! I was thrilled. I punched it down and then rolled it out. I HATE rolling dough. It never works for me. And this time was no exception. This dough was extremely sticky... no matter how much more flour i used to "dust." Eventually I got it to work, but it wasn't a nice rectangle like it was suppose to be. I'm not sure what shape it was... more like an oval. (Sorry, I was too frustrated at this time, so there are no photos of the dough rising or after it was rolled.)

Enough blabbering, already! Right? Here are the photos:

Baking in the oven


Out of the oven, sticky sauce STILL boiling!


Cooling & soaking up the sticky, buttery sauce. As you can see my rolling and cutting yielded some funky-shaped rolls.


I didnt think there was enough sugar so i added more!

After all that... i totally forgot about the almonds! I love nuts, too, but these were fine just the way they were. If you have a sweet tooth and want a total sugar high, MAKE THESE! These are over the top! The sticky sauce was unbelievable... i think i'm going to make the sauce and use it as an ice cream topping or something. These were amazing! Even though this was time consuming, I'd make these again — hubs cannot wait -- he totally loved these. Thanks, Jen... this was a great choice! Be sure to head over to her blog for the complete recipe.

17 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Hell yes for adding more sugar - better! :-D

Shandy said...

I know the feeling when the first time is a flop and now you are faced with making a like recipe. The hardest part for me is whether the feeling of having the previous recipe fail "triumphs" over the feeling of determination this time. Well, your sticky buns turned out awesome, look gorgeous and who wants uni-form buns? Yours are made from scratch and I know must taste delicious! Great JOB! =)

Snooky doodle said...

How delicious! and so interesting too :)

Snooky doodle said...

How interesting. they surely look delicious!

Nina said...

weird shapes give them character!

they look so good!

Tracey said...

I had the same worries about this recipe given my unsuccessful attempt at the bee stings! Fortunately, things turned out much better this time! Your buns look fantastic. I'm glad you enjoyed them :) Oh, and I'm totally with you on rolling out dough - mine is never the shape it's supposed to be!

Jen T. said...

Thanks for baking, Karen! I'm glad the yeast worked for you this time. My "rectangle" definitely left something to be desired, too, which is the reason the only pictures are after the buns were in the pan :-) And my roommate and I were watching AB's 10th birthday show last night, I love him! I'm so happy everyone liked the buns! Great job!

lakegirl said...

I love the shape of your sticky buns and the frosting is a great addition. Alton Brown is one of my
favorites!

Karin said...

I don't think I have ever gotten my dough to roll out into a rectangle. You know what they say- it all goes to the same place! Your rolls looked wonderful- I definitely want to try the frosting some time.

Sarah said...

The sticky sauce was incredible, wasn't it? I'll definitely be making it again for all kids of things. I'm so glad that you had a good experience with yeast! Your rolls look great!

curly chub said...

Those look divine!

Jeannette said...

mine didn't roll out into a rectangle either. so i had small funky end pieces and beautiful round center pieces. :) at least yours turned out great!!

Mrs. G said...

I'm with you in the funky shapes; I had them as well. They were tasty though.

pinkstripes said...

Love that last picture. I'll have to try the cin bun version.

margot said...

The rolls look fantastic! This was a more pleasant experience than the bee stings, wasn't it? I didn't bother halving the recipe either and I'm glad I didn't, they are too good!

The Bahens said...

I'm glad I never made those bee stings; they've scared everyone!

Joy said...

What lovely buns you have, Karen! I'm glad you had a successful yeast experience, and enjoyed these buns so much- yours look sinfully sticky delicious!

Hope you're doing well, and I look forward to hearing from you soon! Have a fantastic rest of your week :)

<3,
Joy

Post a Comment