October 25, 2009

::SMS:: Devils Food Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting

Holly of Phe/mom/enon chose this Sunday's recipe. I love Holly's blog -- she takes the most amazing photos. If you've never checked out her site, please do!

Hubs COULD NOT wait for me to make this one! He loves chocolate AND peanut butter. He eats Reese's PB Cups all the time! Before making this, i asked him twice -- if he would eat this because a lot of the treats I make he doesnt really eat. He's really picky when it comes to desserts (although, he loved the Sticky Buns). He said, "make a cake, not cupcakes, please!" He thinks cupcakes are too "dainty" and "cutesy," so I went for the full cake (plus some cupcakes for me, of course!). Using the full recipe and 7" pans I got a 3 layer cake plus 6 cupcakes.

This was my first time making peanut butter frosting but not my first time making buttercream frosting, whether it's chocolate or vanilla. I read thru Melissa's Peanut Butter Frosting recipe 4 times. I sat there in awe and said to myself, "1 1/2 pounds of butter???" That's SIX STICKS of butter plus only 2 cups of powdered sugar and only HALF a cup of peanut butter?! I'm sorry -- but for me... that's insane. Everytime i've ever made frosting, there's always at least 4 cups of powdered sugar -- now maybe i'm overdoing it on the sugar but (no offense, Melissa) but 6 sticks of butter was too much for me.

So I changed it slightly to:
2 sticks of butter
3-4 cups of powdered sugar (depending on how sweet you do or dont want it)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of peanut butter


I liked the taste of this frosting a lot. It wasnt overly buttery and the peanut butter flavor was just right. The devil's food cake was good. I used really strong Kona coffee and I loved the flavor. Hubs liked this one a lot.

16 comments:

Mrs. G said...

Yeah, that's a lot of butter. It sounds like your revision worked out great.

Susan said...

I was also shocked at the number of sticks of butter in this recipe, but I always make a recipe "by the book", the first go and then adjust repeats. I would definitely cut back on the butter in the future. Other than that, this was a big hit in my house!

Nina said...

I agree, it was way too much butter, but the nutella and peanut butter kind of covered everything up. =]

Snooky doodle said...

this cake looks yummy I love peanut butter and chocolate yummy :)
I agree with you 6 sticks of butter are too much
my blog changed name here's the new link http://maltesebakes.blogspot.com

SUGAR B said...

One of the best combos ever!

Looks gooooooooood! :)

pinkstripes said...

Your cake looks great! I made the frosting as is and it was outstanding, I'd love to try your subs.

lakegirl said...

Thanks so much for the frosting recipe! It was so good! I made mine in 7" pans, too!

Anncoo said...

Thank you for sharing...I love peanut butter :D

Sarah said...

Glad this was a hit! Your version of the frosting sounds much better than the original. I used a different pb frosting entirely, and really loved it. Your cake looks fantastic!

Karin said...

Glad your husband loved it so much! And thanks for the frosting tip. I agree that 6 sticks of butter would have been a little over the top.

HanaĆ¢ said...

Your cake turned out great! Love the 3 layers (pretty fancy!). I'm glad you and hubs enjoyed it.

margot said...

Beautiful layer cake! Thanks so much for the frosting recipe, I LOVED it!

Shandy said...

I followed your frosting changes to the "letter" and this frosting was the best peanut butter frosting "EVER"! LOVE your cake and of course you needed to make you the cupcakes. That is such a must =)

Jeannette said...

i scribbled down your frosting changes and ended up not making it. last minute, i decided the cupcakes didn't need it ;)

Tracey said...

I love your husband's comment that cupcakes are too dainty and cutesy - too funny :) I had to sit out this week but this recipe is on my to-do list because it's one my husband will eat too (which is rare around here). Thank you so much for finding a way to modify the frosting. I can't imagine 6 sticks of butter, that's just crazy.

Stephanie said...

Mmm I bet with that strong coffee it was delish!

Post a Comment