September 27, 2009

::SMS:: Caramelized Onions, Sage, and Cheddar Muffins

Hanaâ of Hanaâ's Kitchen recently baked for her a State Fair and "placed" with a few of her recipes. That's a great accomplishment, and one day, I hope to do something as aspiring as entering a cooking contest. Props to Hanaâ, who also chose this Sunday's Sweet Melissa recipe.

I LOVE cheese but i'm not very fond of onions. I mean, I'll cook with onions when I have to but I wont really eat them... weird, right? I know. So what do you do when a recipe uses an ingredient you love and an ingredient you don't really like? Try it, of course! Who knows... maybe i'll like onions. By the way, hubs is not a huge fan of cheese but LOVES onions!


So, what did we think? Hubs thought these were just ok... nothing to rave about, but he did like the onions.

For me: the texture was more a biscuit rather than a muffin. I thought the onions overpowered the cheese. All I tasted was the caramelized onions, when I really wanted to taste the cheese. I didn't really taste any of the sage, either. I did up the amount of pepper for an extra kick, which I really liked! I liked this... didn't love it.

Did this make me change my mind about onions? Nope, it didnt.

For the recipe, head over to Hanaâ's blog, and be sure to check out how the other SMS bakers fared.

19 comments:

Flourchild said...

I thought they were good but they didn't have the kick in flavor I would have liked!
Your muffins look great.

Mrs. G said...

I think your muffins look great. They were just okay to me as well.

Nina said...

they look super good! I think you just needed more cheese. Cheese makes everything (well all savory things) good. haha.

Lauren said...

what kind of onions did you use? i used red and they were great!

Katiecakes said...

Haha, I added SO much more cheese than stated! Cheese makes everything better!

Katie xox

Tracey said...

They look terrific Karen! I respect that you were brave enough to try them even though you don't like onions :) Sorry they weren't a big hit for you. Mine were a bit bland on their own, but I think they'd be great paired with soup!

Sarah said...

Too bad they weren't a hit. I made several changes to the recipe to make them more flavorful and I loved them. I don't much care for onions either, but I liked them in these muffins, I didn't think they were a prominent flavor at all. They look delicious, I love all of the melty cheese bits!

Hanaâ said...

Karen, you're such a sport for giving these a try when you don't like onions. The muffins look beautiful. Love the visible cheese specks on yours. I really appreciate you baking along with me. And thank you so much for the shout-out in your post :o)

Susan said...

One of my favorite smells is onions frying. Glad you enjoyed these. Yours look great!

margot said...

Your muffins look fantastic! Sorry they weren't a hit for you, maybe all cheese next time?

spike. said...

you're right, totally biscuit like. Sorry you didn't love them

Shandy said...

Great looking muffins but I can see the dilemma with you not liking onions and your hubby not being a big cheese fan. Maybe the next baking event will totally make up in flavor in exchange for this weeks' savory baking event.

Melissa said...

Nina's right-cheese makes everything better! I can't believe your husband is not a fan of cheese! I liked these muffins.

The Bahens said...

The way you feel about onions is the way I feel about bell peppers: I don't mind their flavor in things (heck, I even like it in some things), but the thought of biting into a chunk of bell pepper in anything makes me gag!

Fit Chick said...

Too bad you didn't care for the muffins, but at least you tried!

thewhimsicalcupcake said...

you are brave for even TRYING onion muffins if you don't like onions. if only i could convince the fiance to do so ;)

great looking muffin/biscuits!!

Eliana said...

Even though they didn't work out for you taste wise, they look really nice.

Basically, Baby Boots said...

Aaawww...What troopers you and your husband are for trying the muffins. Hopefully the two of you will love the next savory item that gets chosen to bake.

comfycook said...

Cheese with muffins is a special muffin. I like savory and this one looks delicious.

Post a Comment