August 09, 2009

::SMS:: Snickerdoodles (x 2)

I was meeting my girlfriend (who's 6 months prego) for Sunday brunch and since I havent seen her in about three months I thought I would surprise her with a sweet treat. How about a Snickerdoodle CUPCAKE topped with a Snickerdoodle COOKIE?

Would you believe it if I told you that all this baking & blogging time, I've only READ recipes about Snickerdoodles. *sigh* I know, I know.... I NEVER ate one & i've been meaning to make them but I always get sidetracked with other wonderful recipes.

I was so glad when Spike the Baker chose this Sunday's cookie recipe. The recipe for these scrumptious cookies can be found here on Spike's blog. And I had to stop myself from eating them cause i needed them for the cupcakes. These were THAT good -- light, buttery & chewy.

And it was doubly super that I remembered that Betty from eatmycupcake baked a Snickerdoodle Cupcake and I couldnt wait to give that a try.

Snickerdoodle Cupcakes
(yields 12 cupcakes)

1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup melted butter (1 stick)
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs, room temp.
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 almond extract
3/4 c. whole milk

Preheat oven at 350. Whisk first four dry ingredients, make sure there are no clumps. Combine remaining wet ingredients in a separate bowl before mixing in with dry ingredients. Pour batter into liners and bake for 20-25 min.

Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream frosting
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
4 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbs. milk

With an electric mixer, beat butter until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add sugar and vanilla. Beat, on low speed to combine.

I prepared the cookie dough which was really easy to put together & while they were in the fridge firming up, I made the cupcakes. After those were cooled, I frosted them with Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream. Then I baked my cookies for about 10 minutes -- everything was perfect!

Out of all the cookies i've made from the Sweet Melissa cookbook, these are my FAVORITE.

22 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh YUM!!! I love the idea of the cupcake and cookie combo!! Perfect!!!

I have my cookie dough chilling right now to make these snickerdoodles... mmm cant wait! :)

Flourchild said...

I loved this recipe too. The cookies are super easy to make and very good. I love your cupcakes too! Nice!

Candy Girl said...

What a great idea! The cupcakes and cookies look delicious. My dough is firming up as I write this and seeing your beautiful cookies is making me impatient to start baking!

Nina said...

You made cupcakes too! I did too! Although I didnt use that Martha Stewart Recipe, I didn't have cake flour.

Snooky doodle said...

wow i love snicker doodles even though I ve never made them, I love cinnamon. The cupcakes look delicious and really nice too :)

Mrs. G said...

Great idea! Your cupcakes and cookies look tasty.

Tracey said...

What a terrific idea! Everything looks so delicious! I bet your friend was psyched :)

Lauren said...

what a great idea! i would have loved to receive these cupcakes when i was pregnant!

Melissa said...

I love the snickerdoodle cupcake recipe! I can't wait to try it. Thar frosting looks so yummy!

Jessica said...

I'm so glad that these cookies were a hit for you. Those cupcakes look divine. It was so nice of you to surprise your friend with such a sweet treat!

margot said...

Snickerdoodle cupcakes topped with snickerdoodles? It doesn't get much better than that, yum! I'm glad you finally had an opportunity to try snickerdoodles and enjoyed them so much.

Kaitlin said...

Your cookies and cupcakes look delicious! I recently read about snickerdoodle cupcakes in Martha Stewart's Cupcakes book and thought they sounded very intriguing - seeing them side by side with the cookies, they're even more intriguing!

Laura [What I Like] said...

Oh my lord I love Snickerdoodles! I always used to look forward to bakery visits when I was a child because my mom would let me buy one.

Sarah said...

Those cupcakes look heavenly! I'm so glad these were a hit for you, I really enjoyed them as well.

Hanaâ said...

You are so creative. Those cupcakes look super cute. I'm glad you liked the cookies. They turned out great.

Joy said...

Oh my goodness, Karen, my mouth is watering! What a creative way to incorporate the cookies into a cupcake- they look absolutely delicious, not to mention simply adorable! I love the papers too- very festive. Did your girlfriend go nuts over them? I'm sure she appreciated that you brought along such a yummy sweet treat :) And I'm glad you enjoyed your first batch of snickerdoodles!

Hope to talk to you again soon!

-Joy

spike. said...

Glad you liked them! Those cupcakes look perfect too!

SUGAR B said...

Cupcakes and cookies? Wow, you do have the baking spirit!

Love them both! :)

pinkstripes said...

Your cookies look perfect and the cupcake sounds to-die-for. Great job!

Stephanie said...

Oh Man. These cupcake-cooking combo's SOUND ANNND LOOK Delicious! SOOO Bookmarking this for future use!! :)

Karin said...

Mmm! They look delicious- and the icing looks so good! Its like a little cinnamon cloud on top the cupcake.

Fit Chick said...

What a nice thought for your girl friend; I'm sure she appreciated them. Thanks for the recipe!

Post a Comment