August 16, 2009

::SMS:: Hazelnut... er.... CASHEW Truffles


I met Annie, of Living Life Foodcariously, a few years ago when we were planning our weddings. First, it was just chit-chatting online about our upcoming nuptials. Then, it was meeting for dinner & drinks with other brides-to-be in NYC. Now it's baking & blogging together. Annie chose a super easy recipe for Sweet Melissa Sunday --- HAZELNUT TRUFFLES.

Easy to make, that is. I usually have a lot of ingredients on hand. Unfortunately, hazelnuts were not one of them. AMAZING?!?!? I went to 5 SUPERmarkets! NOTHING! I was blown away! Even the Diamond brand -- Out. Of. Stock! I went back to my pantry to see what I had: almonds, peanuts & cashews. I never had truffles with cashews before UNTIL NOW! These were great!


This super-easy-simple recipe can be found on Annie's blog. Some of the other SMS Bakers had some trouble finding hazelnuts and went with other nuts, as well as other variations. Be sure to check out what they did!

Hazelnut Truffles on Foodista

20 comments:

VeggieGirl said...

Ahh too bad that you weren't able to track down any hazelnuts!! But hey, the truffles still look/sound exceptional to me :)

Snooky doodle said...

these look delicious! I ve never made truffles with cashews must be yummy. :)

Nina said...

ohhh regardless, these look amazing even without the hazelnuts!

<3

Tracey said...

Oh so pretty Karen! Love them! I didn't even try to find hazelnuts since I had almonds, pecans and walnuts on hand. I went with almonds and they were great, though quite rich!

Mermaid Sweets said...

They look awesome. Nice photos. Soo cool how you and Annie met.

junyl6 said...

Cashew nuts - genius!!! how brilliantly original, I'm definitely going to try this!

Mrs. G said...

They look yummy!

margot said...

Wonderful photos, your truffles look great and cashews sound like a yummy substitution! Who knew hazelnuts were so hard to find!

Sarah said...

I thought about using cashews in these, but decided on pecans. I'll have to give cashews a try sometime, they look fabulous!

Hanaâ said...

Looks like you did great, substituting cashews for the hazelnuts. One time I used salted/toasted almonds to cover truffles, it was soooo good. Salt and chocolate always go well together in my opinion.

Jennifer said...

MMMMm the cashew idea is great!!! I couldnt find hazelnuts anywhere either, so I used pecans!

Cristine said...

I love cashews! I bet these were great!

Katiecakes said...

Such a shame you couldn't find hazelnuts but cashew nuts would be an awesome substitution. Yum!!

Katie xox

Lauren of Fried Pickles and Ice Cream said...

i bet the cashews are yummy!

Joy said...

Hi Karen!

I'm so sorry you had no luck finding hazelnuts in any of your 5 supermarkets- I'm sure that was super frustrating. But I think your cashew truffles look amazing! I love that you left the nuts on the chunkier side- if you look carefully at some of the bigger pieces you can almost make out the shape of the cashews.

I'm super excited to be hosting SMS this week, and I really hope you will bake along with me- it just wouldn't be the same without you! Hope you're doing well, and I look forward to talking to you again soon. Have a great rest of your week :)

-Joy

Stephanie said...

Yumm! When I was trying to find a substitute for hazelnuts (for i too was out of luck finding these little gems at my "super"market!) i considered cashews. I'm glad you liked the results, I'll have to make them again and give them a try! They look DELICIOUS and adorable in those little itty bitty individual liners

Tammy said...

What is the deal with hazlenuts? They are impossible to find. Your cooking group looks like delicious fun. Great job on the truffles.

pinkstripes said...

I love that you used cashews. They look great!

maria stone said...

hazel nut and cashew nut will crackle your mouth.
Cash Online Get Easy cash at your door step

Sweet and Savory said...

This may be easy but it looks delicious. As long as it tastes good.....

Post a Comment