August 15, 2009

{MSC} Chocolate Salted Caramel Cupcakes



Welcome to the premiere of MARTHA STEWART'S CUPCAKES Club, where a group of bakers come together and bake a recipe monthly from the CUPCAKES cookbook and blog about it! Our featured cupcakes will be posted on the 15th of each month. Betty of eat my cupcake is our gracious leader and the host for this month. For our first cupcake she chose CHOCOLATE SALTED-CARAMEL CUPCAKES.

I dont have a mini cupcake pan so I just baked them in a standard cup pan. The amount of flour used looked like I would get approximately 12 cupcakes so I doubled the recipe, baked for 22 minutes and got 30 cupcakes. I think I could have ended up with more if i didnt fill the cups almost to the top. I know the recipe says to fill 2/3 full but a lot of times when I do that, I end up with small cupcakes. And yes, i did get a few overflows but it wasnt a catastrophe.


The next step was making a well for the salted caramel. I used my melon baller. In the book, Martha says to "throw away the scraps." ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?! Who in the world would do such a thing? BabyM enjoyed the scraps as much as i did! Plus, I used the scraps to "cap" the cupcakes.






And finally, theres the dark chocolate frosting.


VERDICT: The chocolate cupcake itself was good. I dont think I made the caramel correctly. I was boiling it for a good 15-20 minutes and it didnt turn golden. It did reach 350 degrees on the candy thermometer. I poured the cream into it and went ahead anyway. After I spooned the caramel into the wells, some melted into the cupcake whereas some just sat there. Go figure. I tasted the cupcake with the caramel (without the frosting) and I didnt really taste the caramel --- like i said, i think something went wrong. With the frosting, the cupcake was really, really chocolate! Great cupcake, but next time I think im going to go without the caramel.

26 comments:

Nina said...

I agree. My caramel didn't turn a golden amber color, but I turned that way when I put it on low heat for a really long time.

As for throwing away the scraps, I didnt read that part, but I just ate the scraps. haha.

<3

VeggieGirl said...

Fun club!! And great entry :)

Kayte said...

Your cupcakes look lovely. What a great idea to cap off the cupcakes with the little divets! My caramel took about 24 minutes to come to the full temperature, but it turned out perfectly and I was so excited! Takes such a little amount to excite me! Thanks for the measurements for the full size cupcakes. Great job.

mike said...

Hm... well -they look fantastic!!! Truly - even the caramel. My little trick (from Julia Child) - put the sugar/water in the saucepan, bring it to med-high, and COVER it. It will steam through the edges of the pot lid - that's fine, that means it's boiling. When it stops steaming - it's done - usually about 10 minutes. Then you can cover/look/cover for a few minutes until it turns golden amber or even dark amber (if you like dark caramel). No need to brush down the sides or even get the pastry brush out... I learned the long/hard way - but it's really easy and fun to make your own caramel now... enough said - LOVE LOVE LOVE your piping! I"m still learning how to pipe professionally!

Caroline said...

What a lovely job on your cupcakes. And good idea about using the cut-offs to fill them back in. I saved mine and mixed some frosting with it and made cake truffles with them--my kids loved it.

margot said...

Gorgeous cupcakes! Throw away the scraps? Absolutely crazy! I wouldn't follow that instruction either.

Tracey said...

Your photos are stunning! I have a bad habit of overflowing the cupcake tins too but I've had so many accidents in my oven that I've learned :) I'm so glad you're baking with the MSC group - I can't wait to try more of the recipes.

Megan said...

GAH! Who would ever through away cupcake scraps??? They look wonderful and although the caramel didn't turn out, I'll bet they were delicious all the same.

I missed the first week (doh!) but am definitely looking forward to the zucchini spice cakes.

Erin said...

They look beautiful!

pinkstripes said...

YUM! They look wonderful.

Pamela said...

They look stunningly delicious!

Cristine said...

I ate the scraps, too! Your cupcakes look great!

Stephanie said...

Throw away the scraps! Pffff! That's blasphemy. These look great, and I love they way the dark chocolate color looks with the blue wrappers, so cute!!

scrappysue said...

they still look amazing! is anyone prepared to post the recipe for me plse? we can't get the book here

Cal Orey, Author-Intuitive said...

love your honesty...beautiful with the frosting. as one who just finished a big book on chocolate, gotta say i loved this blog post.

junyl6 said...

Beautiful!! how in the world do you get your piping to end in such a smooth tip?! I'm still learning and can't seem to detach well (if that makes any sense..?) - I always end up with a bit of a ragged tip..
I had major issues with the caramel too but it was a fun start! (Though I think Martha must be a bit mad as I too am a scrap-muncher and wouldn't THINK of chucking any out, they make perfect frosting scoopers!)

Mara said...

Looks great!! The frosting is so smooth and silky. I would def not scrap the bits either. My caramel turned out pretty good but only because I used the Art and Soul caramel primer, thank goodness!! Kinda fun.

SUGAR B said...

Look at those blue cupcake liners! Love them! Your swirls look great too!

I am with you on the caramel. I think the chocolate cupcake itself can stand on its own without the caramel. But I think I need to practice on my caramel skills before I dismiss the combo altogether.

Thanks so much for baking along with me this month!

Glad you are part of the group and I look forward to your future cupcake adventures!

Kim said...

Your cupcakes look fabulous. I filled my cupcakes with the caramel and then replaced the little divot tops. No throwing away at my house. I have to practice on my caramel making too. These were eaten quickly and got rave reviews.

Leah said...

mmm! Those look yummy! Thanks for sharing!!

AmyRuth said...

I loved them, chocolate, caramel and salt yummo!
Great photos and looking forward to the fun.
AmyRuth

Tammy said...

Oh yum. Your pictures are making me want these all over again!

Erica said...

I love your pictures!! Those cupcakes look fantastic.

Marthe said...

Despite the caramel nog being golden your cupcakes still look great!!

I'm ashamed to say I did throw out the scraps.....

comfycook said...

I didn't get to make these but I told myself I would. They are lusious.

pomtini said...

I cooked my caramel to temperature specified and it turned into a hard lump in the cupcake. :(
It's supposed to be gooey, right?

Post a Comment