July 01, 2009

TASTE TEST:: Entenmann's Pound Cake with Chocolate Chips

The hubs is a pound cake lover or should I say loves Entenmann's Pound Cake.... he likes it cause its "light & airy" --- not dense as a pound cake is suppose to be. I mean, it's called "pound" cake for a reason --- 1 POUND of butter, sugar, flour, etc. My new-favorite is Elvis Presley's Fave.

I've always wondered if a "copycat" recipe will taste like the original, aka "store-bought" product. I found a recipe for Entenmann's Pound Cake, and of course, had to give it a try. The ingredients are simple enough:

1/2 pound Butter
2 cups Powdered sugar
3 large Eggs
1 2/3 cup All Purpose Flour
1 tablespoon vanilla extract or lemon

Directions:
Preheat oven to 325F.
Spray an 8-1/2″ Pyrex loaf dish with Pam.
Cream butter with sugar on high speed of mixer for 5 minutes.
Add 1 egg and then a little flour, continue beating for 2 minutes.
Add 2nd egg and half of remaining flour and beat 2 minutes.
Add 3rd egg, rest of flour and extract, beating 2 minutes.
* I added some chocolate chips just for the heck of it.

Spread batter evenly in prepared loaf dish. Bake 65 minutes or until tester inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in baking dish on wire rack 30 minutes.



I used my mini loaf pan for 8 lil cakes.

THE VERDICT: the chocolate chips made the cake. But the texture was not like the store-bought version at all. It was slightly dense but not as heavy as a "real" pound cake. Maybe because i made mini loaves. The taste was there but not quite. Hubs is just going to have to get use to eating Elvis' pound cake because that's my go-to recipe.

6 comments:

Mermaid Sweets said...

The mini cakes look cute, I have to try that elvis recipe.

Hanaâ said...

That cake looks yummy. What's the texture like? Fluffy? Or fairly dense?

Since you recently made a wedding cake, I wanted to let you know about my very first one. I posted it yesterday. Feel free to check it out: http://hanaaskitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/my-very-first-wedding-cake.html

karen said...

@ Hanaa: the texture was denser than Entenmann's and lighter than Elvis' -- does that make sense?

Megan said...

I have an Elvis-recipe, from Gourmet Magazine (years ago). I'll have to dig it up and see if it's the same one you have.

Wait, have you posted that recipe? Now I'll have to go look!

Fit Chick said...

I love the Elvis version, so delicious! It's my go to also. Sorry your minis didn't work for DH but we do try to please them, LOL.

Snooky doodle said...

these look great and with those chocolate chips even more yummy :)

Post a Comment