July 12, 2009

::SMS:: Lemon Blueberry Cheesecake with Cornmeal Crumble Crust

I'm not a huge fan of cheesecakes. My family loves them and i happily make it for them upon request. Cheesecakes are just so easy to make. I usually make them with a graham cracker crust so i was pretty intrigued when I read that this recipe uses a cornmeal crust. Instead of making a huge 9" cheesecake, I cut the recipe in half and made minis in my cupcake pan. Half of the crust recipe is good enough for 12 minis. Half of the cheesecake recipe yields a lot more than 12 -- maybe 14 or 15. I just spooned all the batter into the 12 cups. I didnt go with any fruit topping since my family likes their cheesecakes plain. Plus, i totally forgot to pick up blueberries when i was at the market. I just sprinkled some of the lemon zest on top before popping the pan into the oven.



VERDICT: No more graham cracker crusts! The cornmeal crust is nice n crunchy. I love it! The cheese part is great too, with the addition of marscapone and the nice lemony flavor. Lemon or plain -- this is a winner with my family.

This Sunday's SMS recipe was chosen by Eliana of a Chica Bakes. Thanks, Eliana for a great choice. Head over to her blog for the recipe and be sure to check out everyone else's cheesecakes!

12 comments:

Eliana said...

I would have never though of making these into cupcakes but I like the way you think. Your cupcakes look awesome!

VeggieGirl said...

Cornmeal crust, eh?? Sounds like a wonderful alternative to the graham cracker crust, for sure - yum!

Tracey said...

I think cupcakes were a great idea! I sort of wish I'd made them so they'd have been easier to give away. They look super cute :)

Joy said...

Hi Karen!

Adorable mini cheesecakes! And I love those cupcake liners... how festive! About how long does it take to bake them? Great idea to add a little zest on top- it tells the eater that lots of lemony goodness awaits :)

Thanks so much for stopping by my site and saying hello- can't wait to talk again after the next postings! Hope you have a fantastic week!

-Joy

karen said...

Joy -- I baked them for about 40 minutes.

The Bahens said...

I agree that this crust is amazing. So buttery and crunchy!

Kaitlin said...

I love those blue cups! So cute.

And I totally agree about the crust - it tasted a lot like graham cracker crumbs, but had a nice crunchy texture.

Karin said...

Cute cupcake liners! We really enjoyed the cornmeal crust too.

pinkstripes said...

Your cheesecakes look cute. I love the wrappers. I'm glad you enjoyed them. YUM.

pink said...

Very cute! I love the cupcake liners.

margot said...

The cupcakes look great, definitely a good portion size for something like cheesecake. I'm not huge on cheesecake either, but this was good.

Mermaid Sweets said...

Those look awesome. Love the liners, I had some but now they are all gone. I so wish I could eat cheesecake, used to be my fav.

Post a Comment