July 05, 2009

::SMS:: Brown Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream with Hot Fudge Sauce

FINALLY! I've been waiting for this day ever since I joined Sweet Melissa Sundays. As soon as Lorelei assigned me July 5, I immediately read thru the list of recipes and excitedly picked the one ice cream recipe in the book.

Perfect pick, if i must say...
Holiday Weekend! Ice Cream! What more can we ask for?
Maybe an ice cream maker! I apologize to those that do not have one. I didnt have the cookbook when I joined and didnt realize that this was required. And I thank those who do and made this with me.

The one obstacle i faced when prepping myself for this recipe was finding the dry skim milk powder. I've never even heard of this before! I went to a few of the local supermarkets in my area and to my surprise most carried skim milk powder but they were by the caseload! $7-$10 would buy me enough skim milk powder for a ton of milk for a very long time! I'm not a big milk drinker & my toddler only drinks whole milk... so i wasn't sure if I wanted to buy the full case when i needed only 1/4 cup. And I didnt know if I had room to store this because we're going to renovate our basement in a few weeks and we have to move everything out of the basement & my storage area into the garage -- including all my baking essentials.

Decisions, decisions. Then i was thinking, if this ice cream was THAT good then i'd be making it forever and that would justify my purchase of all that skim milk powder. And thats what I did.... i bought the box for $7!

Brown Sugar Vanilla Ice Cream (pg. 184):
2 cups heavy cream
1 cup skim milk
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup dry skim milk powder
5 large egg yolks
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 vanilla bean, split & scraped, reserving the seeds & pod

(i used a bourbon vanilla bean*)



1. Fill a large pot with about 3 inches of water and bring to a simmer. Set a large bowl over the top, and check that the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water (this is a double broiler or bain-marie setup). (Remove the bowl and use it to combine the ingredients for the ice cream.)

2. In the large bowl, whisk together the heavy cream, milk, brown sugar, salt, skim milk powder, egg yolks, vanilla bean and seeds, and vanilla until completely combined.



3. Place the bowl on top of the simmering pot. Be sure the water is simmering, not boiling. Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture has thickened to nappante (thick enough to coat the back of the spoon), 5 to 10 minutes or approximately 180 to 185°F on a candy thermometer.

4. Cool the custard in an ice bath. Strain the mixture into a resealable container. Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight. (I skipped the ice bath and after straining the mixture I just let it cool on the counter and then refrigerated it overnite.)

5. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions.

6. Transfer to a resealable container and freeze 4 hours or overnight before serving.



I went with the hot fudge topping.



Hot Fudge Sauce (page 185):
Makes 1 quart sauce

15 ounces best-quality bittersweet (64-68%) chocolate, coarsely chopped
l/2 cup sugar
1 cup plus 2 teaspoons water
1 1/2 cups unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons instant coffee or instant espresso powder
2 tablespoons cognac or brandy


1. In the top of a double boiler set over simmering, not boiling, water, melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally. Keep warm.

2. In a large nonreactive saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar, corn syrup, water, cocoa powder, and instant coffee. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. When the mixture comes to a rolling boil, cook for 1 to 2 more minutes.

3. Remove from the heat and whisk in the melted chocolate. Stir in the cognac.

The sauce can be kept in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks. Warm before serving in the microwave on medium high in 30-second intervals, stirring after each one.

Now that I have all the dry skim milk powder, I definitely have use for it! This ice cream is a keeper... this might become my go-to vanilla ice cream. The brown sugar gives it a unique taste and i love it! the hot fudge sauce is fantastic too! Hubs loves it and spoons it over his chocolate peanut butter ice cream for the ultimate indulgence.

Be sure to check out the blogs of my fellow-SMS Bakers who made this with me.

Sorry -- I had my heart set on making the hot fudge sauce from day one that i totally forgot that Butterscotch Sauce was also an option for this week's recipe pick. I'll post the recipe for the Butterscotch Sauce tomorrow. Thanks Jaime, for the reminder!

* Bourbon beans are long and slender, with a very rich taste and smell, have thick, oily skin, contain an abundance of tiny seeds, and have a strong vanilla aroma. Bourbon beans from Madagascar and the Comoros are described as having a creamy, haylike, and sweet, with vanillin overtones. Bourbon beans from other regions will be similar if they are picked at peak ripeness and are properly cured.

21 comments:

spike. said...

Great pick! loved this ice cream

Cristine said...

Your ice cream looks perfect! Thanks for a great choice!

Snooky doodle said...

oh that looks decadent. Just what I wish right now !

Megan said...

This was an excellent choice - we really liked the ice cream flavor.

I'm surprised you can't get skim milk in a smaller box! Well, you'll have plenty the next time you want to make ice cream!

Katrina said...

This looks great and I can't wait to try it with brown sugar! (I've been on an ice cream making kick with my new maker!)

Jaime said...

great pick! i loved it.

you might also want to post the butterscotch recipe too for those who made that sauce and are linking to your blog for the recipe!

Flourchild said...

I love your pick and Im so sorry I could not join you in making this wonderful looking ice crea. My ice cream maker crashed and burned the last time I made TWD homemade ice crea.;(..Yours looks so good with the topping!

Tracey said...

Thanks for a great pick this week Karen! I'm working on my post now but suffice it to say that we loved this ice cream! Yours looks terrific. It was the perfect treat for this warm summer weekend :)

Michele said...

Love the recipe! Great choice.

Memória said...

This ice cream looks great! I would also like to make the hot fudge sauce. Question: Is the alcohol necessary for the sauce? What is it for?

karen said...

@ Memoria: i think the cognac gives it a richer flavor. the alcohol burns off with heat so the fudge isnt very alcoholic.

Kaitlin said...

I love your photos! Thank you so much for this choice. I always love an excuse to use my ice cream maker, and this was a great recipe.

Sarah said...

Great pick this week! I couldn't believe how much I loved this ice cream - I made it this morning, and it is already gone... I'll definitely be making this again, and it is something I never would have tried had you not picked it! Thanks!

Pamela said...

It was a great choice, Karen. I bit the bullet and bought the big box of non fat milk powder, too. But now I know that I will be making this ice cream a lot this summer! And the hot fudge?? YUM!

margot said...

This was definitely the perfect choice, I loved this ice cream! The hot fudge sauce looks super-good too, I will have to make the ice cream again to try it.

Hanaâ said...

Thanks for the great pick for this week. Love your pictures, especially of the fudge sauce. Will have to make that next time (I'm certain there will be a next time for this ice cream recipe!!!).

Btw, if you make bread, you can use some of the milk powder.

pink said...

Yummy! Looks good.

Hornedfroggy said...

Thanks for this great pick, Karen! Beautiful photos! :)

pinkstripes said...

Your ice cream looks great. I love the sauce! Thanks for the perfect pick!

Fit Chick said...

Great pick Karen!! This was delicious and I will make it again.

sassyspot said...

bourbon vanilla is the best! i bet it tasted good...i want an ice cream maker now.... yummy!

Post a Comment