June 07, 2009

::SMS:: Bear's Peach Cobbler

A few years ago, my father found a recipe on Food Network for Peach Cobbler that he swore by. I'm not sure which chef's recipe he chose but he and my mom loved it & loved it so much that he made it and brought to every family gathering for the next few summers thereafter. I, on the other hand, wasnt too fond of the hard crust that laid on top of the scrumptious fruit underneath.

This year..... it's my turn! Thanks to Melissa Murphy, there's a recipe (on pgs. 154-155) for Bear's Peach Cobbler in her cookbook. And thanks to Andrea of Nummy Kitchen for picking it this weekend. The complete recipe can be found on Andrea's blog. Also, be sure to check out how the other SMS Bakers made out with this one.

Immediately after my first read of the recipe, i was petrified --- oh, NO! --- another recipe that involved DOUGH! Something about working with dough just gives me the eebie jeebies --- but i have to overcome this and somehow get use to making dough because its not always about cakes & cupcakes & cookies --- there are other yummy treats to be made!

To my surprise, the cobbler topping (aka dough) came together nicely. I was psyched! Peeling & slicing the peaches was sorta tedious.



The recipe said to cut the dough into rounds and place them neatly on top of the peaches when you're ready to bake. I opted NOT to do that. I didnt want to mess with the dough anymore than I had to so i left it alone and just placed the whole thing in one piece on top of the peaches.



A nice golden brown crust after only one hour!



I couldnt find my casserole dish so I just used my 8x8x2 pyrex.
I love to see what the side of my dish looks like.



THE VERDICT: yummmmmmmmmmmmm!!! This is a winner! This recipe is really easy to put together. I liked this one a lot and so did my parents. I gave my dad the recipe so he can use it from now on.

16 comments:

Jessica said...

That cobbler looks absolutely delicious! I hate peeling fruit, too -- it's such a pain. But, in this case it was definitely worth it, don't you think? I loved this cobbler.

Megan said...

It sounds like this was a big hit in your house. Not so much in mine - and I took the same route with the crust that you did!

HanaĆ¢ said...

Your cobbler looks GREAT. I love the fact that you didn't waste dough :o) The filling looks so juicy.

notmicrowavesafe said...

Your filling looks wonderful! I'm glad everyone in your family liked it so well, great job!

Andrea said...

Thank you for baking along with me this week :) Your cobbler looks amazing, I think it was a great idea to just lay the biscuit dough on top, it turned out perfectly. Beautiful photographs too, I especially love the peaches shot and the side of the pan shot, yum!!

Tracey said...

Your cobbler looks fantastic! I'm so glad you faced your fear of dough head-on and tried this recipe out. I thought it was great too, though maybe a bit too sweet. Oh, and peeling the peaches? Yes, very tedious!!

Hornedfroggy said...

Beautiful pictures!! So glad you loved it - I did, too! And I think I've found my new go-to peach cobbler! :)

margot said...

It looks fantastic! You did a very nice job peeling all the peaches; I felt like I made a huge mess. Hopefully your dad will make this his new go-to recipe.

Alwayzbakin said...

Looks great! I think this recipe is a winner, too. I will be making this recipe again.

Flourchild said...

Perfect and Im so glad you liked it! I think cobbler and crisps are two of my favorite desserts!

Lauren said...

great job! your cobbler looks so yummy!

pink said...

Beautiful! Looks great.

Fit Chick said...

So glad you overcame your dough phobia, LOL. Your cobbler looks very good.

The Bahens said...

Your pictures are just beautiful!

hotovenwarmheart said...

Hi Karen!

Your peaches look so vibrant and luscious and I love the rustic touch of your biscuit topping! I'm glad you have a new go-to cobbler recipe, and I'm sure your dad will be really proud to serve it! My family loved it to, and I think it will be a regular each summer.

I wanted to introduce myself- my name is Joy and I'm a brand new blogger and SMS baker. I'd love for you to check out my site, and I look forward to getting to know you better during future weekly posts!

Mermaid Sweets said...

Lovely pictures, and love what you did with the topping. Glad you loved it.

Post a Comment