June 22, 2009

::People's Choice:: Triple Citrus Cupcakes

Earlier this month, Martha Stewart's Cupcakes was released and I couldn't wait to get my copy. There are some really interesting recipes & tips in this book.

You helped decide which of the cupcakes I was to bake first...

Triple Citrus Cupcakes.
"A trio of citrus zests brightens simple cupcakes."



(Recipe makes 36 cupcakes)

ingredients:
3 1/3 cups of all purpose flour
2 teaspoons coarse salt
1 lb of butter (4 sticks)
2 cups of sugar
3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
3 tablespoons grated orange zest
3 tablespoons grated lime zest
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
9 large eggs
Citrus Glaze (recipe follows)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line pan with cupcake liners.

With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter & sugar until light & fluffy. Add in zests. Reduce speed to medium, and add in vanilla. Add eggs, 3 at a time. Reduce speed to low and add in four in 4 batches, beating until completely incorporated after each. Divide into pans and bake for 20 minutes, rotating halfway through. Cool, then glaze if desired.



Citrus Glaze
1.5 cups of powdered sugar
3 tablespoons of citrus juice (I used lemon)
1/4 teaspoon of zest (I used lime)
Zest for garnish (I used lime again)
Stir ingredients until smooth. Spoon onto cooled cupcakes. Garnish with zest.



The cupcakes were a little dense, in my opinion, but the flavor of the zests made them a little better. The addition of the glaze made the cupcakes MUCH BETTER.

{Summer's here and I'll be spending the next few weekends outdoors (if it ever stops raining). So I'm going to put People's Choice on hold for a little bit. But dont worry, I'll still be baking & blogging with Sweet Melissa Sundays and whenever I feel like doing something indoors.}

9 comments:

Tracey said...

These sound delicious! I love the photo of that pile of citrus zest :)

pink said...

Mmmm, those look so good! I love citrusy stuff lately. I would love to try those, but with some whipped cream cheese frosting instead of the glaze. :)

pinkstripes said...

Oh, man. These sound amazing. I love citrus in baked goods!

curly chub said...

looking mighty zesty and yummy!!

Shandy said...

Your cupcakes look so yummy! I love the idea of the citrus zest. I have her cupcake book and now I am looking up the recipe...=)

Flourchild said...

Yum the citrus zest sounds so good! Thank you for the birthday greetings yesterday!

Stephanie said...

Ahhhh these sound so refreshinggggggg

Mermaid Sweets said...

Wow, I like citrus, this looks amazing.

PheMom said...

These cupcakes are bookmarked in my book as well. They just look and sound so yummy and refreshing too!

Post a Comment