June 01, 2009

::People's Choice:: Matcha Cupcakes

Thanks for voting everyone! You're making my baking more enjoyable because now i dont have to sit there and think of something to bake.... you're all doing it for me.

This week you chose Green Tea (aka Matcha) Cupcakes. I love green tea! I used the recipe from the Chocolate-Matcha Cupcakes that I made previously. I omitted all the chocolate and doubled the green tea mixture.



Ingredients
  • 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup matcha powder (use less if you dont want a strong tea flavor)
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 cup sugar
  • ½ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 eggs, room temperature
  • ¾ cup + 2 tbsp. milk, room temperature
  • ½ tsp. vanilla
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line muffin pan w/paper liners.
  2. With a wire whisk, mix the dry ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.
  3. Using a mixer, cream the butter and sugar. Add the eggs, milk and vanilla and mix until thoroughly combined.
  4. Slowly add the matcha mixture to the creamed mixture and mix thoroughly.
  5. Bake for about 18-22 minutes.



Add 1-2 tablespoons of matcha powder to your favorite cream cheese frosting!


NEXT People's Choice: Decide on my mom's birthday cake!

11 comments:

pink said...

Yum, they look great! :)

But you know, I found that I don't like the combo of green tea cake with cream cheese frosting. I prefer a whipped cream only frosting, no cream cheese. For some reason, for me, I find that the tartness of cream cheese doesn't go well with green tea.

karen said...

How "tart" is your cream cheese frosting? The way i make it... its usually not that tart cause of all the powdered sugar.

Megan said...

I love green tea - but baking with it never crossed my mind. Those look so interesting!

pink said...

Karen, they taste cream cheese-ish. Maybe your cream cheese frosting is not as tart because of the amount of sugar you use. I don't like my frosting too sweet, so I don't use that much sugar.

For me, I guess if you want a less sweet frosting, cream cheese probably isn't a good choice. I guess that's why I prefer whipped cream. Just slightly sweetened still tastes good.

pink said...

For example, the cream in my cakesare just whipped cream, a touch of vanilla extract, and a few spoons of powdered sugar. That's it.

DingDong said...

I was actually able to make this receipt and I had never baked from scratch before! I didn't bother making frosting and the cupcakes are yummy but a bit too sweet for my taste. I will need to try a reduced sugar version and a Splenda version for my mom who is diabetic. How do I make this into a sponge cake version?

karen said...

@ ding dong: dump all the batter into a cake pan!

pinkstripes said...

YUM. I love matcha and just bought some the other week. I haven't made anything with it yet though. Your cupcakes look great.

HanaĆ¢ said...

Oooooh very pretty!!

GreenTeaPowder.com said...

Very nice! We've been experimenting with various matcha cupcake recipes too and we are still trying to think of a tasty filling that would complement the matcha cake and frosting. So far Japanese azuki and chestnut seems to pair up very nicely inside the cupcakes but we are also looking for other possibilities.

Sarah said...

Those look delicious!!! I'm definitely going to give them a try!

Post a Comment