June 25, 2009

Fresh Blueberry Muffins

Fresh blueberries were on sale this week... only 99 cents for a pint! I dont remember if i ever made muffins with fresh blueberries. If i did, i'm sure i would have the recipe somewhere. Seeing how I couldnt find one in my recipe binder, i searched online for one and found this with rave reviews. Original recipe by Ina Garten.

Recipe with my changes are below (i used what i had in my pantry):
Was out of sour cream so I used buttermilk. I substituted granulated sugar with raw sugar AND i used less -- these muffins werent overly sweet -- in my opinion, these were just right (although they werent puffy looking as i expected)!



12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 1/4 cups raw sugar
3 large eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup milk
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup fresh blueberries, picked through for stems

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place 16 paper liners in muffin pans.
(I ended up with 18).

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs 1 at a time, then add the vanilla, sour cream, and milk. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed add the flour mixture to the batter and beat until just mixed. Fold in the blueberries with a spatula and be sure the batter is completely mixed.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin pans, filling each cup just over the top, and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the muffins are lightly browned on top and a cake tester comes out clean.

6 comments:

pink said...

Yum! I love blueberry muffins.

I have some ripe bananas at home that I need to use up. If it wasn't for the the bananas, I would want to do blueberry, too. :)

pinkstripes said...

I need to make these. They look wonderful.

margot said...

These look like the perfect blueberry muffin! If I saw the recipe with sour cream (so rich) I probably wouldn't want to make it, but buttermilk sounds like a great idea.

Tracey said...

Fresh blueberries are the best! I am so excited for them to be reasonably priced this summer. Your muffins look terrific!

Pamela said...

I love blueberries in just about anything. I just did a ton of baking with them, too. The muffins look terrific.

Snooky doodle said...

what nice muffins! Your blog is awesome . glad I found it :)

Post a Comment