June 17, 2009

Bran Muffins

Would you be surprised if I told you my 19-month old loves BRAN MUFFINS?
My mom takes care of her while I work full-time. So Monday through Friday BabyM is with her grandma & grandpa (when he's not working), and usually has breakfast, lunch & dinner with them. My mom is always thinking of new foods to introduce to her. One day my dad brought home some bran muffins from work and BabyM gobbled one up! The next day she demanded one for breakfast. I just sat there in awe and watched her eat the whole thing. I'm not a huge fan of bran muffins --- TOO HEALTHY for my tastebuds. But if BabyM demands, momma has to make 'em!

Recipe from:
Epicurious, January 1999
by Sarah Phillips
The Healthy Oven Baking Book


WARNING: This is a super healthy, very nutritious, high fiber muffin!
(My additions, based on some comments from the site, are in red.)
Makes 12

1 cup unprocessed (miller's) wheat bran
2/3 cup unbleached all purpose flour
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
1/2 cup raw sugar crystals (such as Sugar in the Raw)
1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 large egg
1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup raisins (soaked in apple juice)
1/8 cup of milled flax seed (cause i had it and had to do something with it)


Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°.
Lightly spray nonstick muffin cups with oil.

In a medium bowl, whisk the bran, flours, baking soda, (cinnamon, flax seed) and salt until well combined. Set aside.

In another medium bowl, using a handheld eletric mixer set at high speed, beat the buttermilk, sugar, applesauce, egg, oil and vanilla until frothy, about two minutes. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Using a spoon, stir just until combined. Stir in raisins. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter equally among the prepared muffin cups.



Bake until the tops spring back when pressed gently in the center, about 20 minutes. Do not overbake. Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing from the cups. Serve warm or cool completely on the rack.



I admit it -- i had one -- just to taste it. It's actually not so bad. Very moist & light and not too sweet which is a plus, since BabyM doesnt need all that sugar.

1 comments:

pinkstripes said...

How cool! I was amazed to discover my niece loves salmon.

Your bran muffins look great!

Post a Comment