May 03, 2009

::SMS:: Strawberry Shortcakes

This Sunday's recipe, chosen by Wendy of Pink Stripes was Strawberry Shortcakes (p. 130). Head over to her blog for the recipe and some really great photos. I'm sure everyone else had better luck with this recipe than me.

At first, I was going to skip this recipe because i was somewhat intimidated. Ask me to bake a cake and i'll jump at the chance. Ask me to bake three dozen cupcakes and they'll be baked and frosted in two hours.

Ask me to make a dough and, uh.... i might rethink the request. I dont like to make a pie crust (i have never been successful); heck, i struggled with puff pastry. So when I read that this recipe wasn't like the birthday strawberry shortcake, i hesitated for a moment. But I have to get over my fears sooner or later, right? So I did! To my surprise, the dough for the shortcakes formed rather quickly & easily. Instead of cutting into 2.5" squares, I used a 2.5" round glass and cut them into circles. I was a happy camper as I put my tray of shortcakes into the oven.

To my dismay I was right, yet again! My shortcakes were worse than biscuits! They didnt puff up like they were suppose to so i couldnt "fork-split" them when the time came. I tasted one just to see what it tasted like and it was a little on the dry & bland side. Let's just say... i would have had better luck if i cheated and sweetened up a pack of Pillsbury Grand Biscuits.



I did do something a lil different that made it edible & made it seem more like a strawberry shortcake. I sweetened up the strawberries like i was suppose to. I placed my "shortcake" on a plate, added some vanilla ice cream, added the strawberries, added one more spoon of ice cream.


Topped it off with some HOT FUDGE!
Voila, Strawberry Shortcake Sundae!



All the toppings made my "shortcake" a lil more enjoyable; albeit, I might have shoved it aside and ate everything else. =)

15 comments:

Mermaid Sweets said...

Sorry this didn't turn out for you like you wanted, I love how you made it work though. Mine didn't rise much either, but I still thought the taste was divine. I also don't get many sweets though.

PheMom said...

Good for you that you went for it anyway! I think your additions sound awesome!

The Bahens said...

I love that you didn't let your mishap get you down! Your problem-solving skills yielded very tasty-looking results!!

Sarah said...

Everything's better with chocolate!

Megan said...

What a bummer that they didn't turn out the way you'd hoped.

But I have to ask, as you were cutting them out, did you twist the cutter? Because if you did, it seals the edges and they won't rise.

I mean, I wouldn't know anything abut that....... :)

foodcarious girl said...

Mine didn't rise much neither, but they did taste really good!

But your pics looked great anyways :)

Tracey said...

Sorry that they didn't work out for you but they look really cute! I'm so glad you were able to find a way to make a delicious dessert with them!

Stephanie said...

You know the expression... when life hands you bland shortcakes... make fudgey strawberry shortcake ice cream sundaes! ... I thinl it goes something like that. at least you were able to salvage them and still turn out a delicious treat! (don't tell, but I have a fear of dough, too!)

karen said...

Thanks for all your kind words!

pinkstripes said...

Too bad the shortcakes didn't work out for you...at least you found some ways to enjoy them. Ice cream is always good.

Thanks for baking along with me this week.

margot said...

That's great you tried, despite your apprehension; it took me a long time to overcome my dough fear, too. I think your little sundae is adorable.

Jaime said...

eh i still haven't mastered pie dough. i'm sorry your shortcakes didn't really rise though... i say if at first you don't succeed, try try again! i think biscuit dough is really easy compared to pie dough - so please give it another go sometime

Cristine said...

Bummer they didn't turn out for you, but I am LOVING the shortcake sundae!

pink said...

Still looks good though, K. I'd eat it. :)

Hanaรข said...

I love your creative spirit! Love the chocolate addition :o)

Post a Comment