May 10, 2009

::SMS:: Lemon Icebox Cake

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all the moms out there (myself included)!

I took my mom out for dimsum in Chinatown on Saturday. We went to a new place that's across the street from Harmony Palace on Mott Street (i totally forgot to note the name of the restaurant). The dim sum was pretty good and very hot & fresh. I guess that's what you get for a place that just opened (as in Grand Opening).... so get there before things change. For my day, the hubs took me out for Japanese on Saturday evening.

In between brunch & dinner on Saturday, I took the time to make my Mother's Day Treat -- this week's SMS recipe -- Lemon Icebox Cake --- picked by Jennifer of Keep Passing the Open Windows. THANK YOU, Jennifer, cause this is another winner! Head over to her blog for the recipe. As always, be sure to check out the creations by my fellow-SMS Bakers.



I didnt have any strawberries on hand and it didnt dawn on me a few weeks ago to reserve some for the sauce, so I did without the strawberry sauce. I also made a 7" cake (half the recipe) because I think I'm the only one that's going to eat this one. Hubs isnt a lemon fan... and that's just too bad... cause this was delicious!


This was my first time making a meringue.
I used a 60mm macro lens for this shot --- dont you love the peaks?


11 comments:

Megan said...

Happy Mother's Day to you!

I really liked this cake too - it's so refreshing and lemony!

Cristine said...

Happy Mother's Day!

Your cake looks perfect!

pink said...

Yum! That looks really good.

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Your macro shot is fab! I was going to make a half recipe mini but then a dinner party came up so I made the whole thing. We loved this one. Happy Mother's Day!
Nancy

Stephanie said...

Your close up of meringe peaks is great! looks like an stormy, wavy sea of delicious toasty topping! :)

margot said...

Lovely photos. I agree that this was a great dessert. Happy Mother's Day!

Jennifer said...

You're welcome! I really liked this, too, and am glad it worked out as a Mother's Day dessert for so many. It was pretty with the meringue and I really liked the lemony flavor.

PheMom said...

I looks lovely! I hope your Mother's Day was awesome!

pinkstripes said...

Your meringue looks wonderful. Looks delicious!

Tracey said...

Hope you had a fantastic Mother's Day! Your cake looks wonderful. Great job on the photos! I wasn't able to make the cake this week but I can't wait to try it later this summer.

The Bahens said...

Your meringue peaks look lovely! My husband said he liked it, but I think his last piece is still wrapped up in the freezer somewhere, so I might have to finish it for him!

Post a Comment