May 17, 2009

::SMS:: Guinness Gingerbread

Other than cut-out gingerbread cookies, I never really had gingerbread (as a "cake"). My dad told me that gingerbread is an acquired taste and he tried to dissuade me from making this. My mom told him to shut up and told me that he doesnt have to eat it, and to go ahead and make this. And so I did! Mom & I loved it! (Dad snuck a piece and he admitted that this was pretty good!)

Using the full recipe I baked two cakes: one 8" for me and one 7" cake for my mom. Baking time was shorter -- i baked both of them at the same time at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes and then baked them for another 15 minutes at 325 degrees.

The Guinness wasn't a dominant flavor. The ginger wasnt really that strong either. Mom told me to increase the ginger a lil more next time. This was a really good, moist & yummy cake. And so simple to make -- i totally didnt have to whip out the Kitchenaid -- a bowl and a whisk was all i needed. This was so yummy I TOTALLY forgot about the whipped cream. Thank you Katie, of Katiecakes, (head to her blog for the recipe) for choosing another winner!

15 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm glad your dad enjoyed it afterall, maybe he actually liked it better since it was LESS ginger-y?
I thought it was quite tasty and super easy.

Stephanie said...

MMM I enjoyed this one too! It seemed like a breeeeze to put together, and I love that. :)

Megan said...

Ha ha! Great story - and aren't you glad you tried something new?

I love gingerbread, but I skipped this because it's too hot here to think about a cool weather dessert.

Cristine said...

Glad you liked it! It looks great!

Tracey said...

Your gingerbread looks great! I'm so glad you liked it. I agree with you about the flavors being sort of mellow but I liked it that way!

Fit Chick said...

I agree with your mom, more ginger next time. Not really sure if it needed the cocoa, very moist cake. Funny story, thanks for sharing.

Kaitlin said...

I'm glad that you liked it - and that you were able to win your dad over with it, too.

margot said...

I'm glad you made it and it was enjoyed by all! I really like that so many of the Sweet Melissa recipes don't involve mixers or food processors; I'm always happy with fewer dishes to wash.

pinkstripes said...

Your gingerbread looks fantastic!

Elyse said...

Your gingerbread turned out fantastically! I thought this recipe was so much fun. I've been missing SMS. Sorry that I've been a bad commenter for the past couple of weeks; I just finished law school exams and am just now getting to my google reader!

Eliana said...

Your pieces of gingercake look heavenly.

The Bahens said...

Glad you took the plunge and made the cake! I'd only ever had gingerbread cake from a box mix, and this was soooo much better!

Mermaid Sweets said...

Glad you liked the cake - loved the story about your mom and dad, I could totally picture my parents doing that.

HanaĆ¢ said...

Great job. Looks like you convinced your dad otherwise :o) Your cake looks moist and tender. Love the color too.

Michele said...

Your bread turned out beautifully!

Post a Comment