June 03, 2009

Blueberry Mochi Cake

Before I ventured off to Tokyo for my honeymoon in 2006, friends asked me to bring back Mochi. I had no idea what mochi was until my honeymoon. Mochi (Japanese: 餅) is a Japanese rice cake made of glutinous rice pounded into paste and molded into a shape. In Japan, it is traditionally made in a ceremony called mochitsuki. While also eaten year-round, mochi is a traditional food for the Japanese New Year and is commonly sold and eaten during that time. Mochi is also a prominent snack in Hawaii and Taiwan.

So when I stumbled on JustJenn's recipe for Blubeberry Mochi Cake I knew I had to make this. She adapted it from Hawaii's Best Mochi Recipes by Jean Watanabe Hee

The main ingredient in the mochi cake is Mochiko Flour (aka Sweet Rice Flour), a type of flour milled from mochi rice, which is a short-grained, glutinous rice common in Asia. A popular brand of mochiko flour is made by Koda Farms. I'm sure you can find this in a Japanese, Asian, or health food store (it's gluten-free), but I couldn't find this particular brand.


But I did come across this type at my local Chinese market... and it only cost me 85 cents! Glutinous Rice Flour becomes moist, firm and sticky when cooked, a result of its higher proportion of waxy starch molecules.

Life couldn't be sweeter when i dont have to pull out the huge & heavy Kitchenaid. I love ONE-BOWL recipes!

2 cups (1 lb) sweet rice flour
1 cup butter (2 sticks), melted
2 cups sugar
1 can evaporated milk
4 eggs
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
12 oz frozen blueberries (or 1 can blueberry pie filling)

In a large bowl, combine the sugar and melted butter. Add evaporated milk and mix well. Add eggs and mix. Finally, stir in baking powder, sweet rice flour and vanilla. After mixing the batter, spoon a thin layer in a 9 x 13 pan. Add semi-thawed blueberries. Add the remaining batter and then blueberries again. Bake for 1 hour at 350 degrees until toothpick clean and golden brown.

I loved making this... it was super simple and one of the easiest recipes. This came outta the oven nice & golden and looked fabulous. I couldnt wait to have a piece. I hate to say this... but the taste wasnt all that. The texture was a lil on the chewy side and even with 2 cups of sugar... wasnt sweet enough. I served this at my Sunday BBQ & my guests felt the same way... *sigh* Sorry, folks, but this wasnt a crowd pleaser.

4 comments:

pink said...

Aw, too bad it wasn't that good. At least it looked good. :)

Tracey said...

Well it looks terrific - sorry it didn't taste that way too!

pinkstripes said...

I have Mochiko in my pantry. I'll have to try this cake, it sounds delicious.

Andrea said...

Oh no, sorry this one wasn't great! It looks absolutely perfect though, I love all of the blueberries :)

Post a Comment