April 19, 2009

::SMS:: Caramel Apple Turnovers with Sweet Ricotta Filling

This week's SMS recipe, Caramel Apple Turnovers with Sweet Ricotta Filling (p. 25), was chosen by Tracey of Tracey's Culinary Adventures. Head over to her blog for the complete recipe.

I love apple pie..... hate making the crust.
I love danishes..... hate ones made with cheese.
So what did i think when i saw that this recipe was next? WTH... go for it.

The recipe is 3 parts: apples, cheese, puff pastry. The apple part was easy. I added a pinch of cinnamon (and made this the night before). The cheese part was easy.... also made this the night before; strained the cheese during the day.

The puff pastry part was another story. I NEVER worked with puff pastry before so i didnt really know what to expect. My first mistake: should have read the instructions on the box the night before because --- DUH! --- i was suppose to thaw the pastry for at least 40 minutes before beginning to work with it. So on Sunday morning, starving and ready to eat an apple turnover for breakfast (because the book says its best to eat it warm the day you make it), I was sad when i realized i had to wait at least another hour before breakfast was served. I didnt like working with the puff pastry sheets -- maybe because i was impatient and couldnt wait to start making the turnovers. Or maybe it was cause i hate working with dough (pie crust). Or maybe i was frustrated cause the pastry sheet was still frozen -- the dough kept breaking apart on me. And when i finally got it to be a pliable dough... it was sticking everywhere and i was dusting flour everywhere.

SIGH! Anyways.... i didnt make any nice triangles cause i was having a hard time with the pastry sheet as it was so i made huge rectangles. I think on 1 or 2 of them i overfilled it cause when it was time to close it, cheese was oozing everywhere. My turnovers were ready and a nice golden brown in 35 minutes at 350 degrees.

THE VERDICT: Even though i hate working with puff pastry, i must say that this is something that i will DEFINATELY make again (pastry thawed, accordingly, of course!). If the apples & cheese are made ahead of time and the pastry sheets are ready to go -- this is a breakfast item that can be whipped up in no time! I love this recipe! I'm two for two with the recipes I made so far.... i'm loving this book! Head over to Sweet Melissa Sundays to see how the other bakers made out with this super-easy, delicious breakfast treat.

16 comments:

Cristine said...

Your turnovers look great! I would've never known you had any problems! :)

Stephanie said...

Ooh I like the way it looks in rectangular form! It looks like a way more delicious, homemade version of a poptart! :) So cute!!

Jessica said...

I like the rectangle shape a lot! I ran into the same issue with the thawing of the pastry. I thought that I'd make them for breakfast and then, oops! Not today. I'm glad you ended up liking these, I thought that they were delicious.

Natashya said...

They look great! I love the rectangle shape - probably keeps the filling in better that way.

Flourchild said...

Sweet looking turnovers. Im glad you liked them

n.o.e said...

With the rectangles I think you probably got a better ratio of filling to crust - I thought there was too much pastry in mine. Love the styling on that square plate with the apple!
Nancy

Fit Chick said...

Nice looking turnovers! Yes, they were very good and I will make again.

The Bahens said...

Puff pastry is an adventure every time, if you ask me. I've worked it a lot recently, and it still threw me for a loop! You rectangular turnovers turned out very nice!

margot said...

The rectangles look great. Using puff pastry can be stressful, I'm always afraid I will break it. I agree this recipe is a keeper.

Tracey said...

Your turnovers look perfect Karen! Great job. Sorry the puff pastry gave you so many problems. It can be a bit tricky sometimes! Thanks for baking with me this week :)

Elyse said...

Sorry that your puff pastry was so finnicky--I hear you on that one: it seemed like mine was either frozen and inflexible or waaaay too mushy. Oh well, the final product was frickin awesome. I actually really like your rectangles. They look like they fit a lot more filling, which is always good by me :)

Katiecakes said...

They look great, you'd never tell you had problems with the dough!

Cinnamon sounds like a delish addition :)

Katie xox

pink said...

They are beautiful! I'm sure they tasted as good as they looked.

pinkstripes said...

Your turnovers look fantastic. Too bad you had troubles with the puff pastry. It certainly doesn't look like you did. I'm glad they were a success for you.

Jaime said...

so picture perfect!

Mermaid Sweets said...

Glad you liked it, they look great. I had trouble with the puff pastry, my first time too, but I actually found that working with it slightly frozen helped me a lot.

Post a Comment