April 12, 2009

::SMS:: Brooklyn Brownout Cake

FINALLY!!! I get to join in on all the fun for Sweet Melissa Sundays.

Elyse of Confectionery Creations chose Brooklyn Brownout Cake (page 111 in Sweet Melissa's Baking Book) for this Sunday's baking session (the recipe can be found on Elyse's blog). Last week when I went thru the list of recipes, I was super excited when I came across this one. I think it had something to do with the fact that i was born & raised in Brooklyn. Or maybe because BabyDaddy would actually help me eat this since he's a huge chocolate fan. But how can anyone go wrong with a chocolate cake with brownie crumble and gananche frosting?!?!?!? HEAVEN!!!

The brownie crumble is made with a brownie recipe that can be found on page 82 of the cookbook. So first things first.... making the brownies. I made them on Wednesday night (without walnuts cause I didnt have any and BabyDaddy said he didnt want walnuts in his cake). I gave half my batch to (fellow-SMS Baker) foodcarious cause she had the gall to tell me she was going to use a brownie mix --- or even worse to my ears --- BUY THEM. Ugh.... I was making them anyway... might as well share. (Plus, she's really cute & i was more than happy to see her again!) Anyways, sorry... back to the brownies.

The recipe for the brownies suggests using a 9 x 9 x 2 pan but the only pan i have that is close to that size is an 8 x 8 x 2 -- which worked out great. Using my pan, the brownies were done in 40 minutes at 350 degrees. I must say -- my whole house smelled like chocolate.

You go from this.... liquid chocolate


to this...


Next was making the cakes. I didnt have regular coffee on-hand; all I had was hazelnut flavored coffee. I made that stronger than usual and just used that. Using 7" pans my cakes took about 45 minutes complete. The cakes were really puffy when they came outta the oven but eventually they flattened themselves out... i didnt have to trim off the tops. After they came out, I wished i used 8" pans instead cause i thought that the 7" cakes were really high. I thought about cutting them in half then making two smaller cakes but decided not to and just went for it.



On to assembling the cake. Place one cake layer on a plate, spoon some brownie crumble, add 2nd layer, add ganache and voila!





THE VERDICT: Almost as good as my Valentines Chocolate Cake. I thought the cake was a little too dry. I loved the brownie crumble in the middle. Loved the ganache. And like my Valentine's cake, next time.... will add a huge layer of chocolate buttercream on top.

14 comments:

Tracey said...

Your cake looks great!! I thought this was a really delicious cake.

foodcarious girl said...

I love the strawberries... it definitely would give it something different rather than just chocolate on chocolate on chocolate haha

Thanks for the brownies once again! :)

karen said...

I couldnt eat the cake w/o the strawberries. Definitely too much chocolate on chocolate... but BabyDaddy gobbled it all up w/o milk or strawberries!

Natashya said...

Looks great with the red berries! I made the brownies too, so delicious. Your cake looks awesome.

Sarah said...

Mmmm, so yummy - your cake looks great! Heaven, indeed...

margot said...

Chocolate and strawberries are an excellent combination; nice job on the cake!

n.o.e said...

Look at how tall and beautiful your cake is! It was intensely chocolatey; milk was a required accompaniment for me. I'm off to check out the chocolate cake that you like better!
Nancy

Elyse said...

Your cake looks great! How exciting that you're from Brooklyn. I have so many friends there, and I just love it! Your cake looks great. I wonder if using regular cocoa would've made your cakes less dry. Because I didn't have Dutch process, I had to use regular cocoa. The acidity of my cake seemed to keep it uber moist (although not very fluffy). I'm so glad you joined in on SMS!! Can't wait to keep baking together!

Mermaid Sweets said...

Your cake looks soo good and tall - so this is what 7 inch pans are supposed to look like. Soooo sweet of you to share the brownies and super cool that you get to really hang out with a fellow blogger.

The Bahens said...

Your cake looks great. I'm sad that it was a little dry though. I'm intrigued by your "Valentines Cake." I'll have to read up on it! :)

Megan said...

I'm definitely going to check out the Valentines Cake - it sounds like it's right up my alley!

pink said...

Looks good!

HanaĆ¢ said...

Your cake looks great. I like the strawberries with your slice of cake. Yum!

Donna-FFW said...

This looks absolutely delicious..

Post a Comment