March 28, 2009

Mini Banana Loaves


During the week, I usually have toast, a bagel or a muffin for breakfast -- and its not something I make myself -- I usually buy from my local supermarket. Instead of the usual, I wanted something homemade & portable. Banana bread sounds like something wholesome & delish, doesn't it?

The ingredients listed fit into a 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf pan. For portability I made mini loaves and the batter divided up perfectly to yield 8 mini loaves.

Ingredients
¾ cup granulated sugar
8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
2 large eggs
4 ripe bananas
1 tablespoon milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Butter pan.
  • Cream the sugar and butter in a large mixing bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
  • In a small bowl, mash the bananas with a fork. Mix in the milk and cinnamon.
  • In another bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
  • Add the banana mixture to the creamed mixture and stir until combined. Add dry ingredients, mix by hand just until flour disappears.
  • Pour batter into prepared pan and bake.


For a 9x5x3 loaf the recipe says to bake for 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. For my mini loaves, I only needed to bake them for 25 minutes.

Set aside to cool on a rack for 15 minutes. Remove bread from pan, invert onto rack and cool completely before slicing.



The banana bread did come out more savory than sweet... for me, the saltiness of the bread complemented the sweetness of the bananas. To make is more on the sweet side, I would increase the sugar by 1/4 cup and cut the salt by half.

4 comments:

mashi said...

I'm drooling...

pink said...

That mini loaf pan is so cute!

Tina said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina said...

I put 2 lrg and 3 small bananas in and I ended up with one mini loaf pan and 6 more muffins!! And because my Husband loves raisins, I added a cup and a half.... yum!

Post a Comment