March 29, 2009

Aloo Paratha

I LOVE CURRY!!! Whether its from Thailand, Malaysia, Japan or China -- I'll eat it and I would eat it everyday if i could. My favorite curry is from India... maybe its due to the fact that my father was born there and as a kid, I grew up eating it. I usually eat curry with rice or noodles. Rarely do I eat it with bread... that's cause I usually dont have the Indian bread. I can always ask my dad to get me some bread from the Indian market but it's not the same.

I decided to make some this weekend! And not the usual roti (which is similar to a tortilla). I wanted paratha and not just a plain one -- i wanted aloo paratha: bread stuffed with potato and onions!

Makes 6

Stuffing:
2 boiled potatoes
1 small finely chopped onion (optional)
Coriander leaves finely chopped
1 teaspoon ginger (very finely chopped or grated)
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
Mash the potatoes and combine with all the stuffing ingredients, and set aside.

Dough:
3 cups wheat flour
1/4 cup wheat flour for dusting
2 tablespoons oil or butter
Enough water to make dough

5-6 tsp butter for frying paratha
Salt to taste

Making the dough:
Combine flour, salt, oil or butter and add water, a little at a time. Knead into medium soft dough. Dough should not be very tight. Set aside.

Rolling & stuffing parathas:
Divide the dough and stuffing into 6 equal balls. Take a ball of dough and make into a small disc, by flattening between your hands. Place a tablespoon of the potato stuffing into the center of the dough and close it from all sides, covering the stuffing entirely by the dough. Gently pat the stuffed disc between your hands again. Apply some flour on both sides and roll it out gently into a paratha.

Now with a hot, oiled frying pan (cast iron is good) cook your paratha, about 5 minutes per side -- nice brown spots will appear. Serve with butter, yogurt, or in my case -- CURRY!


Yes, this is time consuming -- but its so worth it!

1 comments:

pink said...

I'm not big on curry, but that does look good!

Post a Comment