January 01, 2009

Spicy String Beans with Minced Pork

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! How about a non-dessert recipe to kick off 2009? I guess this would be filed in my "more" category.

Here's something you might not know about me: I dont really cook.
I dont like to. Don't ever ask me to host a dinner party at home, where I have to do all the cooking because I wont. Ask me to come to your place for dinner and i will make a side dish or dessert. I do cook when I have to... i mean, we have to eat at home now and then, esp. with the baby running around. We can't eat out ALL the time. So I have to come up with quick & easy meals. With all that said, here's an easy and very tasty dinner for two (plus some extra for a leftover lunch & the lil one).

By the way, all the measurements don't have to be exact.... please feel free to use more or less, according to your tastes.

ingredients:
1 lb minced or thinly sliced pork (i used minced cause it's easy to find at the supermarket)
1 lb string beans
1 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tsp. grated ginger

marinade:
3 tbsp. white wine
2 tbsp. soy sauce
1/2 tbsp. sesame oil
freshly ground pepper
Marinate the pork in wine, soy sauce, sesame oil & freshly ground pepper. I do this the night before... its even better. I'm sure marinating 2 hours before would taste good, too.

sauce when cooking:
1 tbsp. chili garlic sauce

1 tbsp. ground bean sauce

1 tbsp. black bean with garlic sauce

1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. oyster sauce
Combine all this in a bowl when you're ready to cook and set aside.

In a small bowl, make a slurry with 1 tbsp. corn starch and 1/4 cup soup stock or water.

garnish:
- roasted sesame seeds
- scallions

Putting it altogether:
In a pan, heat oil and saute the string beans, garlic and a pinch of salt until they're tender, about 10 minutes. Take the beans out of the pan and set aside.


Add a touch of oil to the pan and brown the meat and ginger for about 7-10 minutes. Add in the spicy sauce mixture & saute for about 5 minutes.


Toss in some scallions.


Add in the slurry and cook for another 5 minutes.
Throw the string beans back into the pan with the meat & sauce and stir.
Sprinkle in some sesame seeds and simmer for 2 minutes.


Serve over white rice.

0 comments:

Post a Comment