So rich & creamy. This is my dad's recipe. Everytime he made it, he had to make me my own because I dont like raisins. He finally gave it up so now I can make it myself.
5 cups of whole milk
3/4 cup of white rice (uncooked)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup pure vanilla extract (you can use less)
2 egg yolks (tempered*)
3/4 cup of raisins (optional)
1 cup of half & half or heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
cinnamon for garnish
Bring whole milk, rice & salt to a boil. Then simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in sugar, vanilla and egg yolks. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Take off the stove & stir in (the optional raisins) half & half or heavy cream and butter. Sprinkle on some cinnamon. Cool then refrigerate.
* TEMPERING: The technique used to blend uncooked eggs into hot liquid or sauce. Eggs are beaten and a little of the hot mixture is stirred into them to warm (temper) them. Tempering slowly raises the temperature of an egg, without curdling it and without heating it through conventional methods. This prevents the eggs from scrambling or the milk from curdling when the hot liquid is introduced.
- ► 2011 (20)
- ► 2010 (30)
- ► 2009 (113)
- White Christmas Cupcakes w/White Chocolate Frostin...
- Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Buttercream Fros...
- Super Easy Coconut Macaroons
- Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing
- Buttery Spritz Cookies
- Christmas Cookies
- Curry Laksa aka Curry Mee
- Freezing Cookies & Cookie Dough
- Storing Cookies
- Red Velvet Cupcakes- Take 2
- sugar... sugar.... sugar
- Rice Pudding
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- ▼ December (13)
A to Z ABC almonds appetizers apple asian award banana bbq birthday blogiversary blueberry bread brownies butterscotch cakes candy cheese cheesecake chinese chocolate chocolate chip citrus clubBAKED coconut coffee cookie carnival cookies cranberry cupcakes CWF desserts dips donuts flan fondant frostings frozen fruit gingerbread giveaway holidays honey ice cream kreativ blogger lemon matcha meat misc. mochi MSCupcakes muffins My 100 nutella nuts OBG pasta peanut butter People's Choice pies pumpkin red velvet restaurants scones SMB frostings sorbet souffle stand strawberry sugars Sweet Melissa Sundays sweet potato tart tips vanilla vegan waffles wedding whole wheat yogurt