December 02, 2008

Rice Pudding

So rich & creamy. This is my dad's recipe. Everytime he made it, he had to make me my own because I dont like raisins. He finally gave it up so now I can make it myself.

ingredients:
5 cups of whole milk
3/4 cup of white rice (uncooked)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup pure vanilla extract (you can use less)
2 egg yolks (tempered*)
3/4 cup of raisins (optional)
1 cup of half & half or heavy cream
2 tablespoons butter
cinnamon for garnish

Bring whole milk, rice & salt to a boil. Then simmer for 30 minutes.
Stir in sugar, vanilla and egg yolks. Simmer for an additional 10 minutes. Take off the stove & stir in (the optional raisins) half & half or heavy cream and butter. Sprinkle on some cinnamon. Cool then refrigerate.

* TEMPERING: The technique used to blend uncooked eggs into hot liquid or sauce. Eggs are beaten and a little of the hot mixture is stirred into them to warm (temper) them. Tempering slowly raises the temperature of an egg, without curdling it and without heating it through conventional methods. This prevents the eggs from scrambling or the milk from curdling when the hot liquid is introduced.


2 comments:

curly chub said...

I love rice pudding!

pink said...

I love rice pudding, too! I gotta try this recipe.

Post a Comment