November 24, 2008

Sweet Potato Pie

Just in time for Thanksgiving! My family requests.... or should I say they demand that I make this every year; and when I do, my mother always wants an additional pie.

If you're a stickler for homemade pie crust... go for it! I have tried to make pie crusts many, many times and, for me, it NEVER comes out right. I just stick to the frozen ones cause they're always on sale... but don't tell my family this -- they think I make the crust from scratch!

This is another one of those recipes where there are so many variations.... i've tried a few and this one is my favorite:

2-3 medium sweet potatoes
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
4 ounces butter, room temperature
3 large eggs
1/2 cup canned sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground nutneg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (9 inch) unbaked pie crust

(Some like to boil the sweet potatoes.... i prefer them baked.)


Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork & wrap in tin foil. Bake until soft (about 45 minutes) at 425 degrees. When cool enough to handle, peel them (skin comes off very easily once their cooled) and slice crosswise to prevent strings. Reduce oven to 375 degrees.

Mash potatoes, then stir in all ingredients. Pour into pie shell. Bake in the middle rack until brown and center of pie is set, about 50-60 minutes.



What I love about making this pie is that it can be made well in advance (like 3-4 days) and kept in the fridge.... wrapped in foil and stored in a gallon-sized ziploc bag!



0 comments:

Post a Comment